Blood test results with gastro problems

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm a 25yr old female and for 5 years i've had long standing trouble with bad heartburn, indigestion, nausea and vomiting and abdominal pain. I had an endoscopy in 2015 which showed I had gastritis and advised ongoing PPI's (lansaprazole). Multiple attempts to stop taking PPI's failed and symptoms always returned meaning I would loose a significant amount of weight (1-2stone) as I would be unable to eat. Seen a gastro consultant in 2017 who advised I would need to stay on long term PPI's. So total time on these tablets is currently 4yrs.

Recently (past 1.5 year) I have had trouble with constant tiredness, fatigue, wounds that took ages to heal, muscle weakness, pale, sleep trouble etc. I work in a hospital and spoke with one of my colleauges who is a gastro consultant who ?? vitamin b12 deficiency due to long term PPI and advised seeing my GP regarding this. I did that and got my blood results today.

My ferritin (iron level) was low at 7 (GP said should be 15) my Hb was okay at 120 and vitamin b12 was 203 (normal is 200-900) but the GP said because my Hb was fine they would not be bothered about my low iron level despite me being symptomatic.

I really just need some advice on what to do here because im so fed up and frustrated with the situation now. My GP practice is pretty poor and the GP I spoke to really wasnt interested in my concerns at all.I asked for a print out and will speak with my work colleage again but any advice o anyone with anything similar would be appreciated.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.