Blood test shocked me

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone.i had a normal routine blood count then got called to. doctor he said i had no iron in my blood none and is sending me for tests.i am not poorly in any way shape or form.i feel silly going for a camera when i not poorly.has any one else had this experanice please

I dont to go for no reason.only lack of iron

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

Hi I would definitely have the camra test. It is the basic test in a case of naemia. I have had it done and it is straight forward.  Let  us know how you do.  Jane xx
    • Posted

Hi i am scared of camera i would have to b knocked out asleep.i gonna ask for a blood transfusion to pep up my iron
    • Posted

Why are you scared? They will give you an injection to relax you. It is uncomfortable but the staff will support you.
    • Posted

Hi well i am scared .i not ill ........i think i just need a blood transfusion i asked this morning and they r writing to the blood bank for me.but their rules have changed so awaiting their reply
    • Posted

Hi again

​I understand you are scared but is it of the unknown or the actual camera  test

I too was scared but staff supported me throughout. The surgeon was reassuring.

I was not looking forward to the test but I can relax now and do not feel scared.

• Posted

Have you explained your fears to the dr or th nurse. SOmetimes just talking abouti can keepyou calm. Iknow it is not nice and you musthave had a massive shock when a camera test/endoscopy was suggested. Particularly as you were always used to having blood transfusions/tpop ups for all those years. But to be bluntand honest the dr is acting in your best interests by suggesting the camera test. He or she is trying to rule out any underlying cause for your anaemia, it is standard prcticenowadays and really nothing to be so scared of.

Has the drofferedany explanation to you in the past as to the cause of your naemia?

Trynot to think aboutthis fora while, you are torturing yourself. I just got the procedure over and done with then felt better  for having got it out of the way. I had gastritis and GERD plusa hiatus hernia.

However the reason for the endoscopy was becase of the anaemia.

I was sedated. This is normal practice.

If you want to go tosleep then just suggest this to the dr.

• Posted

Hi no i havent told anyone i scared.they will think i am a big baby
    • Posted

Agreed. I had an endoscope through the mouth and a nurse and doctor speak to you before. I don't often say this but they were lovely. Lots find it hard but it's quick and soon over. You'll be glad you did it. 

• Posted

Did he give you your iron levels, you must have some, or you would feel really ill. Mine were low, had endoscopy and found ulcers that I didn't even know I had.

• Posted

Hi he said 80 num not sure to b honest.my iron been like this for 20 years or more..just used to have blood top ups
    • Posted

No, the anti inflammatory that caused the ulcers disguised the pain.

I have pain now I have had to stop them.

my iron level was 8.3, really low.

• Posted

Oh blimey poor u .i gonna have the blood transfusion if i ger offered it i waiting to hear
    • Posted

But if I hadn't had the camera I wouldn't know. That's why it's so important to find out if you are bleeding from somewhere and you have no symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Laura Good job the ulcers were diagnosed especially as they were caused bythe Ibuprfen which was masking the pain. I assume the dr immediately stopped the Brufen.

• Posted

IT was Naproxen, much stronger than ibuprofen, I had been taking it for about five years, due to inflammation of spinal nerves. I had no idea I had ulcers, that had probably been bleeding very slightly for a long time, until I had a blood test for shortness of breath and extreme tiredness. My GP sent me to see a consultant to have a colonography, sigmoidoscopy and gastroscopy. Yes off them now and on a high dose of PPI 's for two months, then back for another gastroscopy to see if they have healed.

• Posted

I had a gastroscopy and colonoscopy a few months ago to investigate the anaemia. Found to have gastrtis, GERD and a large hiatus hernia. Unable to have PPIs as I have cardiac problems. So had gaviscon and bland diet.

I did have PPIs someyears agobut they were discontinued as they caused peripheralneuropathy , malabsorption of nutrients that gave rise to all  sorts of disorders including wstage of the core muscles and tendonopathy!

• Posted

Yes they found I had gastritis, diverticulosis and a few other things, so well worth doing. I have changed my diet a lot,,can't eat fruit now, but hoping it's just short term. I know PPI's are blamed for malabsorption problems, my gp said mine was a safe one, lansoprazole, I am taking b12 just in case. I already have peripheral neuropathy, and not able to take strong enough pain killers

• Posted

As lansoprazole is a PPI I am unable to understand how it can be safe. My endo blamed the statins, ppis and antibiotics for causing peripheral neuropathy. B12 is said to be good for PN.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.