Blood tests during perimenopause

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,

DId anybody have some useful blood tests - I asked my GP and she said that there was no point in having hormone tests as they are all over the place anyway. Also - is there a vitamin defficiency test , would be nice to have some ideas and not just  take random supplements?

Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, my GP also is a bit reluctant to test hormones. When I mentioned vitamin deficiencies he told me it is very rare, which I now know not to be quite true. I have managed to get b12 and ferritin tested and also thyroid function. Hoping I might be able to get a few more as time goes on. Think they are reluctant to do them because of cost, although there are places you can have them done privately but obviously that would be at a cost to you. Xx
  • Posted

Hi polly

True the FSH peri test will come back normal in early peri, when u have say 5 periods a year or less it will come back on meno range .. 

But a full blood test is good to check all else is okay, iron,sugars,etc Jay xx

• Posted

Hi Polly, I've been told that most GP's don't really know and understand about hormone testing. If you're thinking about hormone replacement therapy to help you through the perimenopausl phase you might want to see out a doctor that specializes in bioidentical hormones or I reccomend one of Suzanne Somers books about these hormones. She's a bit repetative but I found her books to be a big help understanding what to expect and how to help.

As for blood tests, you might want to have your vitamin D levels checked. Most of us are vitamin D deficient and we need to maintain higher levels as we head towards menopause in order to protect ourselves from bone loss.

Going back to hormones - my hormone doctor tests for levels of:

progesterone

estradiol

DHEA

testosterone

and a thryoid panel including TSH, T4, T4 free and T3 free.

Hope that helps.

Sonja

• Posted

Only had the one that tells you you're perimenopause but that's all. I asked about HRT was told if you don't need it don't take it. As for vitamins just keep to my usual ones
    • Posted

Tracky

blimey.. what a doctor ... thats terrible..

my first FSH blood test came back normal... my doc then was a little darlin, he said I was peri, and as my hormones erractic early on the tests nearly always come back normal... but... i bought a a few menopause home testing sticks, you wee on them... and i monitored it myself ..

and low and behold even after that FSH test - normal the following month the home tests said positive, we fluctuate so much in early peri and its a fact ... the blood test is only as good as the hormones on that day the blood done... in 2011 i had my last FSH blood test, but was only having 3-4 periods a year then and my result was positive menopause ( just said over 30) its maybe zilch now 😏 if anyone wants the home testing menopause sticks i think i got about 5 cheapos off ebay about £3 ish..

Tracky protect you bones hun, Calcium and Vit D... dont want osteoporosis in later life ... Jay xx  

• Posted

Funny one with calcium as I was told it can thicken your arteries?! Sorry I do take Vit D when I've not been outside enough :-)
    • Posted

tracky

jeeeeeeez ... i just googled that and oh nooooo

well there Vit K2 aswell for bones hun... they says its better anyway for bone health... thats maybe an option ... 

Jay xx

• Posted

Hi polly111.  It is true, for all I have read and passed, hormons are difficult to track and they came back in normal range, unless things are really messy. It is always good to test the vitamins in your blood, vitamine D is the big thing, many of us have defficiency in this phase and it is very important for our bones.  Same as calcium and magnesium.  Thyroid and testosterone may be useful as well.  XX
  • Posted

I've had Peri symptoms for 18 months now, just had a blood test for Gonadtrophins? Doctor said it was normal but as I'm still having a reasonably regular menstrual cycle he wasn't surprised. Going by all of the other symptoms I've had a full blood test and everything is how it should be. Now got to wait 12 weeks and have a random blood test for Prolactin, testosterone etc. So the waiting begins.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.