Blood tests on Humira

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello. If you're on an anti-TNF like Humira (but not any other drugs that need specific blood monitoring) how often do you have blood tests? Are you having blood tests as normal through the pandemic?

I used to have blood tests every 4-6 months and now nobody seems to think it's necessary. I've only had one initial lot of blood tests since switching to Humira last November, and that was at the start of this year.

Not bothered about CRP/ESR, but they used to do full blood count, kidney and liver function too. Now, nothing.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Hi, I have blood tests every three months, you should be getting blood tests at least every three months, if not, basically they would have no way of knowing what's going on, I on Benepali and recent blood tests showed my neutrophil count had dropped out of the normal range, neutrophils are white blood cells, dropping too low is a risk of serious infections, if you are in the UK you need to contact your GP tell him you need a blood test.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Are these blood tests just for the Benepali or do you also take methotrexate etc?

Nobody has ever told me what blood tests I need on biologics, they just used to request them at rheumatology appointments which were about every 6 months. My GPs have never been instructed to do any monitoring and, as lovely as they are, I'm not sure they have much of a clue about biologics.

• Posted

Hi, I would have thought that anyone on any TNF inhibitors should have regular blood test, I generally thought it was the norm to be tested every 3 months, the one I'm on Benepali is a biosimilar of etanercept, so just similar to yours, I'll do some more research on this issue, no I don't take methotrexate, tried it once and made me ill, but I do take sulfasalazine which I've been on for about 17 years, Benepali about 3 years, I've always had blood tests for about 17 years even when just on sulfasalazine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.