Blood Tests Pointin To Gall Stones + Gall Bladder

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I have been told that I am likely to be suffering from either inflammation/gallstones. I am waiting to have a CT scan (or something similar that's better than the ultrasound) just to confirm this. I am getting a few headaches on the right hand side, stabbing pain underneath right rib that can go all the way to the back and most painkillers don't seem to touch it (sound familiar?)

My main question is for people that had it and got their gallbladder taken out if they had any bloods that showed up gall bladder problems before scans, I haven't drunk a drop the last couple of years but my ALT was slightly elevated but most other bloods seemed normal (red blood cells were bigger and I had pretty high eosinophils as well as a random one)

I was wondering what other peoples bloods were like as well (or any general information that would help biggrin

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Bloods would show infection and or liver function abnormality.

​My gallbladder showed up on a normal x-ray, was noted on report to primary care GP, but as I had no problems with gallbladder issues was told not to worry about it for now, and as a precaution stay away from fatty foods.

​Some months later developed what was diagnosed as gastro, sent home, but over the next week go sicker and sicker, until I started vomiting, and my eyes were yellow, obstructed liver, no pain. 

Extremely rare I was told to have what I had with no pain, apparently I should have been lying on the floor screaming. 

I was very lucky to have survived a very nasty dose gallbladder obstruction, and pancretitis, with no side effects, but I would never recommend anybody else be that sick, spent 9 days in hospital, recovering, gallbladder finally removed when I was well enough to do the surgery.

• Posted

That is always a worry really that everything is going to be fine, I work in a vets and there's a poorly cat with similar bloods nothing too raised but it is ill and you can imagine some Doctors saying it's fine (the cat is definitely not!)

I suppose it was good that you didn't have the pain as far as I'm aware it is pretty horrible what I am experiencing, I am glad you are survived and scary it wasn't picked up sooner 9 days or anytime in the hospital can be horrible at times. 

I hope the recovery went well and fewer problems for the future!

• Posted

maybe they are referring to mrcpt which is an mri, they wrap a belt around your middle, they can see gallbladder, galllstones, bile ducts, liver, spleen, pancreas in much more detail, to see whats going on, I had my gallbladder out 30 years ago, then the pain came back, like gallbladder pain right in the middle of stomach-worse than labor pains, came and went, for months, went to gastro, he took blood tests, liver blood tests were way elevated, then did mrcp, which did not show any newly created gallstones, in the ducts, or anything, couple weeks later, liver counts were more back to normal, still have off and on pain, has not been so severe, but sometimes just a plain old queazy feeling in stomach, and no appetite off and on, he is going to be doing a endoscopy where they put the tube down your throat and it has camera attached for a better look, as he did not see on the mrcp any floating around gallstones....but still have the queasy and sometimes pain, lately...so thats next for me, I wish you luck on your journey, they should be able to pinpoint, your problem, it does sound like galllbladder, these days its a much easier removal, laproscopy  take care, hope your situation and mine is resolved soon...
    • Posted

I think you are right on that one sounds really good enzyme levels don't seem too bad which is good because I heart pancreas things are very painful! That is a long time ago how was the procedure then and recovery? 

It does seem people who have this problem can then have a similar gallbladder pain again that's very painful, the endoscopy I've had a few off and none of them ever seemed too bad again though nothing has come off them and stomach has looked normal. You on things that aren't drugs for nausea like ginger and things that seem to help, I'm mainly addicted to bananas when I get a flare up. I hope things start looking up for you as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.