Blood tests proved i have Vitamin D deficiency

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey,

After feeling depressed for 2 years with sleep problems, fatigue, loss of interest in activities, memory issues. I finally decided to do some blood tests. Which showed i have Vitamin D3 deficiency.

My house doctor advised me to take daily Vitamin D3 1200 IU supplement in liquid form. 3 drops each day.

I have been taking them for 1 month now. No big difference yet. But my house doctor told me it can take up to 3 months before restoring my Vitamin D3 levels. My blood tests showed 7. And Vitamin D levels should be 50?

I felt relieved to know the cause for my depression, but now i just have to live with my depressive symtoms for 2 more months before i get better? anything else i can do to speed up the recovery time?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Can anyone recommend me some quality vitamin D3 supplements in drop or tablet format to buy online -  which will restore my low levels in an efficient way?
    • Posted

It all depends where you are Probably the best quality high dose are Dekristol but in the UK I think they must be obtained with a prescription. They are German-manufactured and contain peanut oil - so if nut allergies are an issue are not for you. They come as 20,000 IU doses - possibly the only one available.

I have always used the supplements from Holland and Barrett in the UK - and they have been fine. Their high dose tablets are 1,000 IU but are tiny tablets and very easy to take up to 10 of them at once. The general advice is not to buy from companies you have never heard of and to avoid Chinese manufactured supplements. 

• Posted

PS, I forgot to say, because vit D is not classified as a drug it is not subject to the same licensing regulations as pharmaceuticals. There are warnings on the internet about this but it will apply to any such supplement so is not particularly meaningful. That is the reason for my warning about sourcing them - a reliable supplier is essential.
  • Posted

hi if your level is really low you need more that 1200 x
  • Posted

I will do new blood tests to check my Vitamin D3 levels mid July. By then i have taken a daily dose of 3 drops of Vitamin D3 supplement 1200 UI according to doctors recommendation, since i found out my Vitamin D3 levels were 7 in April. And on top of that been out in the sun minimum 2 hours every day.

I suspect my levele are still low with dose and i might up my daily dose of Vitamin D3 supplements to 5000 UI in liquid form.

Anything to add regarding this from your point of view?

• Posted

You really need to stay in the sun for just fifteen minutes a day with lots if skin showing, as you should not have any sun screen as it will block the vit D. You may have an increase in your vit D blood levels in that time, I would have thought.
    • Posted

ptolemy has told you the getting vit D from sun bit - but the part that is missing is that the mechanism in your skin that forms vit D from cholesterol under the action of sunlight striking the skin at above a certain angle may not be functioning well enough to do the job. It falls off as we age, being about a quarter of the level at 70 that it was at 20 - and even at 20 it may be poorer in some people than others. The bit about the angle it hits the skin at means that in the UK it only works between 11am and 3pm from May to September. Outside those hours and months you could spend all day in the sun and very little would be made.
  • Posted

Hey,

So i did a new blood test to check my Vitamin D3 levels. And i seem to have exceeded the daily dose. Because test showed me i now have a Vitamin D3 blood level of 300!

From Vitamin D3 blood level of 7 in April and now 300! Doctor said it's not dangerous. But told me that no more supplements is needed.

Should i worry about my Vitamin D3 blood level of 300 and can it be harmful? how can the vitamin D3 levels bounce back to normal?

• Posted

A high reading over around 150 can mean you may be vulnerable to vit D toxicity. This a build up of calcium, if your doctor is happy, things should be fine. If you stop the supplements that should solve the high levels. 
    • Posted

You use some vit D every day - no supplements should allow the level to fall slowly. Taking supplements the body stores the lot, when you stock up on vit D via sun there is a mechanism to stop after a certain amount is made (if you get to that much, which you obviously weren't!). If you are in the northern hemisphere your vit D level will be at its lowest in April - none made during the winter and still using it every day. So checking it in October and April is sensible - if it is lowish in October you'll need some supplement over the winter. In the southern hemisphere it is the other way round - high in April, low in October.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.