Blood Tests/Stool Sample Question

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, just a random question.

Are there any specific blood tests that can help towards determining GI disease is present? I don't mean anything that can definitely diagnose a specific condition but just something that would indicate there could be an issue. For example, low iron levels could indicate a GI bleed, etc. Is there anything else at all?

Also, I've been have some BM issues and have an appt with my GP for next Wed. Would it be appropriate to take a stool sample along with me (I have a couple of urine sample test tubes and could use one of them) or do you need to wait for GP to actually request one?

Thanks for nay help. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

They usually do full blood count,liver function, and inflammatory markers.

None of these are specific for ibd.

Stiil samples are usually a different colour lid container and have the small spoon with it.

Good luck with your appointment

• Posted

Hi, the blood tests can definitely tell if any inflammation is present, and I will do the iron levels as long as they check for it, personally I don't hold blood tests as a sure thing as loads of my bloods have come back fine when my crohns is running wild. Also like Alfielefoo said, stool tubs are normally different. Plus if the gp hasn't asked for one they will just throw it in the bin.

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for the replies. Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if they threw it in the bin, god forbid they would actually see it as useful, rather than have to go away and come back again with a sample days later. 

• Posted

They look at your CRP level in the blood, which should be around 5. The higher it is the greater the inflammation.
    • Posted

Hi hasnaJD, I've had Crohn's disease for many years, I have full blood test every month at GP surgery , I have not felt well on and off for 3 month but every time I asked if everything ok, they kept saying bloods were normal! I was not happy with that, So off I went and rang IBD nurse and they said my bloods were raised to 36 and put straight onto steroids tablets and they seem to be working so far.

Thanks Twiglet,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.