Blood Tests what does the results mean?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I picked up my blood results today and they tell me protein levels are high again, but they say your levels are always up and down.

My crohns has been active now for 2 years, can someone explain what all the words and numbers mean on my IBM treatment Record card? What makes a flare up or not?

Thanks Twiglet12

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I cannot answer your question, but would also like to know the answer😊
  • Posted

Most likely by protein levels they mean C-reactive protein (CRP) which is the test they use to show whether there is any inflammation. The levels change quite quickly depending on how you are doing, hence why they go up and down. If it is CRP upto 10 is normal & increasing above that indicates severity of inflammation. There are lots of tests routinely done but this is most likely what you're asking about now.
  • Posted

Just to add it's for inflammatory marks, so if you have a cold they can be high as well as flaring, for me they always check my iron levels and my weight for a flare

i hope this helps

Lynne

• Posted

Thanks for your comments, I'm been to see the consultant today he said bloods are ok, now been put on iron tables, already taking vitamin D, b12 injection, monthly, azathioprine 50mg and multivitamins. It does sound like I picked up a cold/flu. They took some bloods, testing azathioprine, got to do a breath test for bacterial infection? Anyone had one of these? And a Bone density test. Thanks NHS, you are fantastic, keep up the good work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.