Bloods indicate need for mri with contrast

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. My mum was diagnosed with crohns a few years ago and also had a bowel resection for malrotated bowel- not sure this was crohns fault! She was on heavy duty, long term treatment for her crohns- can't remember the name I think it began with M. She came off medication a last year. She had a routine appt with her consultant and reported random bloating and a significant bloating on holiday- my nan has recently died so I know she is stressed. At her appt they did bloods and now she has been called for an urgent mri with contrast. I told her it way be a flare up indicated in bloods and they want to check what's going on before restarting treatment. It seems a bit extreme to jump straight to an mri. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal procedure for a suspected flair up? Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and reply xx

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I agree with Stepaney28634.

It sounds like a typical flare up. 

I imagine if your Mum has had surgery it would be the best test. I'd rather have an MRI than a colonoscopy any day!

Look on the bright side - most people moan about having to wait for investigations so at least your Mum will have less time to be anxious about it!

Hope she starts to feel better soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.