Bloody mucus and painful cramping after endoscopy and colonoscopy ( with biopsies )

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I have undergone diagnostic endoscopy and colonoscopy a day back(yesterday).  I am on low residue diet and drinking good amounts of water. I had the urge to have bowel movements yesterday but there was only bloody mucus with a lot of cramping.

Today morning as well I had multiple urges to go to stool more than a dozen times but most of the time it is bloody mucus. Sometimes it's a small lump of stool and bloody mucus together.

Since today was a weekend, I tried to reach a doctor on call who mentioned that I should fine and was advised to drink lots of water and reduce the food amount. I wasn't able to get help on what would be an ER situation.

Did anybody have a similar experience after colonoscopy with lots of cramping and bloody mucus?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Did they find a polyp ?

As they can cause bloody mucus.

Not sure about the cramping though.

If pain carrys on you should see your GP.

• Posted

Hi,

I had my colonoscopy five weeks back and had biopsies .I was told that i will see the blood when i go to toilet but mine was fine and had no cramps of much blood as well, Yesterday i had endoscopy done and i am fine , i have no after effects.

I was told by the nurse after the colonoscopy that if i have lots of blood and cramps or feel unwell then go to A& E. But as i said i was fine. I had done both in a private hospital. My doctor is excellent and i have him since last 18 years as i have chrons.

so far i had 5 colonoscopy. Have to it every three years.

Hope you will be fine soon.

Thank you

Thank you

• Posted

Yes, I have problems like this after and that is one reason I don't go in very often. I have Crohn's disease and it takes me a while to heal after so many samples were taken. The lack of stool is normal as you are cleaned out before the scope, but it will come back and things will normalize after a week or so. It takes me a month to get it to stop, but that is me. As long as the bleeding isn't super heavy I wouldn't worry too much. Ask your doctor for some medication to stop the cramping. Hang in there it does get better, but if you develope a fever or vomit then go to the doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.