Bloody Mucus in Stools - Please help

Posted , 1 user is following.

2 weeks ago I had a terrible cold that lasted 6 days. During this time I did not drink enough fluids and did take anti congestion tablets as well as ibuprofen. As I was getting over it I noticed some bloody mucus in my stools (bright red).

For the last week and a half my bowel movements have been different. I do not have diaherrea or constipation. It is somewhere in between - very loose. The colour I would say is normal but it smells really bad. Also, my stomach while it doesn't hurt alot I know there is something wrong as its a very dull pain which happens most of the time.

1.If I need to go a couple times during the day there is no mucus with blood.

2.If it is a 24hr period between movements I then have some. Some days there has been quite alot (not loads) and other times just a little bit. It is very in the water just stuck with mucus to the stool.

I had blood tests from the doctor last week to check for inflammation - ESR test. The results came back that my score was 5 (apparently normal is 1-4). They also noticed my liver results were slightly out of the good range too by the same margin. I recieved this call whilst away with work so I got a flight home to go in for further blood tests today as advised by my doctor. I went in with the nurse for blood tests today and it came back as a score of 8. So it has slightly gone up.

I used to suffer from what I believe to be IBS as a kid very badly. Never any blood (which ofcourse isnt associated with IBS) but very bad diahrrea through anxiety. I have had bouts of IBS my whole life though brought on usually 5 minutes after eating nowadays. Sometimes I can go weeks without any problems and then other times its quite frequent.

I have another meeting with a doctor tomorrow as I have loads of questions. I really need to get back to work soon and travel abroad. I feel able to. I do not feel tired and there are no other problems. Purely a constant ache in my stomach and on accasion bloody mucus in my stools.

I am worried I may have IBD or something even worse.

I have looked through the internet for ideas but would love to hear from someone who may be able to shed a little light on their thoughts. My girlfriend thinks i'm overreacting about it but it all has me concerned.

There is no history of IBD in my family.

Thank you in advance for your help.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

*'never in the water' (not 'very in the water')
  • Posted

I dont think you are over reacting. This is something that is unusual for you so you are doing the sensible thing and trying to get it sorted out. Rightly so,as your results have indicated something that is not quite right.   I wonder if you over did the ibuprofen and decongestant as you were desperate to get back to work.    Decongestants usually already are combined with some ibuprofen so if you took extra doses of ibuprofen your liver might react and also your bowel.   Combined with not enough fluids and you possibly have a problem.  Mention this next time you have an appointment.
  • Posted

You have bright red blood in your stool.  That means the blood has not been exposed to any digestive processes.  Could you possibly have an additional ailment that is not directly related to your liver problem?  Hemaroids will produce bright red blood, and would seem consistent with your obsevation that you only see the blood when your BMs are delayed (thus causing a harder, dehydrated, more difficult to pass stool). 
  • Posted

A touch of ulcerative collitis. See a gastro doctor one who specializes in the lower abdomen.
  • Posted

Update

I have not had a normal bowel movement since the beginning of this (4weeks). It started off just slightly looser and has become like water with some lumps of stool in it.

The second blood results were taken whilst I felt alot better and all came back clear.

A few days later I started to feel it again and all of a sudden there was some blood again in diarrhea. The blood kind of died off but my bowel movements were still all loose.

Today I went to the bathroom and passed alot of maroon coloured blood. Not sure what to think but I am very worried I have ulcerative colitis. Is there anything else it could be or am I doomed with this now for life?

I feel fine other than this.

I phoned nhs24 and waiting for a call back. Also, I have a doctors appointment tomorrow to be referred to a GI doctor using my private medical care hopefully this week so I can head off back to work the following week.

Thanks for your feedback.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.