Blotchy red rash/irritated skin on penile head (lasted for over 3 moths now)?

Posted , 410 users are following.

Part of the skin on the head of my penis has become slightly red and is causing some pain/irritation.

It first appeared the day after I used a condom so I think I must have had a reaction to the latex or some other substance in the condom.

The tip of the penis became super sensitive and noticeably hurt whenever it touched my underwear.

The skin was and still is noticeably red close to and directly around the meatus. This redness gets worse and bigger after I've come out the shower or masturbated.

An hour or so after ejaculation, I get a slight burn/irritation at the very end of the urethra when I urinate and this can last for a few days before subsiding. This has put me off from masturbating as much now.

This has lasted for about 3 months now with no signs of improvement.

I saw a doctor and was prescribed timodine/hydrocortisone cream and this didn't have much effect and am slightly worried it may just make things worse so have stopped using it for now.

It almost seems as if the redness comes from within the skin rather than on the surface.

I don't think its balanitis as I haven't had that for over 12 years when I was a kid and that was with the usual smegma discharge etc, whereas this is just redness. 

I've attached images to show how it looks straight after showering, which is when the redness is at its worst and the contrast between the normal skin colour and the redness can be clearly seen.

16 likes, 1576 replies

1576 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hello everyone, I had the same problem with this and I went to the doctors and as usual the redness ain't really there as bad when you go, so they just done the usual stuff checked for chamida & all the other stuff (all come back fine) few months later I thought I would stop certain things to see if there was a change, after sex I used to always wipe down with a wipe so I stopped that and I used to get this soreness daily soon as I stopped using wipes it has basically gone i also stopped using mostly all shower gel, or anything to clean it just to warm water and every now and then just some normal shower Jel "nothing named" and it's a whole lot better, the only time I get it now is straight after I ejaculate it becomes sore on the tip I have yet to find a solution for this I thinks maybe it's where it tenses and so much blood is rushing round maybe that's why but I honestly don't know that's just me guessing! I have exzema which I think is personally what it is! Also if you can't get rid of it sudacream works a treat leave it on for a day! Hope this helps people

• Posted

Hello again. Mine is 100% from a sexual encounter, as it was never present before and came up only a day after, so it's not from any kind of excema or cleaning products, just to clear that up. Also the lesions on my tongue, I'm almost sure from the encounter, they are like patches that kind of come and go. It's driving me mad. Thanks

• Posted

same as mine,i too have sore in my mouth also coupled with the red patch on the tip of my penis and what seems like irritation on my foreskin,have you found a solution to this infection,i'm really worried.

• Posted

I've been looking for days for someone who has the same issues simila to mine. I've been having this for a couple weeks now. I don't know if it is heat related or not. Kinda seems like it. I work in a wood shop and am sweating all day if I am not in front of my bench. It is irritating on my underwear when it touches, when I walk, work, pull up my boxers ect. I seen my dr and he thought fungal infection. I was prescribed something like clotrozol or something. It did nothing, Spent like 50 bucks on two prescriptiond of that. Just got back from Walgreens and paid 52 bucks for Mupirocin ointment. Any updates on your condition?

• Posted

I can very much relate to the underwear irritation; when the redness first started my glans was incredibly over-sensitive and almost painful but its nowhere near as bad now, still sensitive though. I can't wear briefs without discomfort, so have to use loose fit boxer shorts instead.

In terms of updates, its a weird one. The redness seems to change all the time throughout the day, one minute it looks fairly normal, the next it flares up again. What I have noticed that with an erection, the redness pretty much disappears and blends in with the surrounding skin. This backs up my erythema theory of blood flow/capillary involvement. 

I've experimented with a Fluconazole tablet (for Candidal Balanitis) with no change. Applied Clotrimazole cream consistently for a period of days with no effect. Im now trying Sudocrem, but don't hold much hope. The best thing I can do really is to just try and keep the skin moisturised.

I've read good things about soaking the glans in salt water, so this is the next thing for me to try. I'm also trying an 'inside-out' approach through an anti-fungal/inflammatory diet. Once winter arrives I'll go back on 50mg Doxycycline as well.

• Posted

Has anyone here used hydrocortisone on it and notice it getting worse? A doc told me to use it for about a month but that was close to a year ago. Cant tell if there was some skin damage or not. Also does anyone have symptoms of what seems to be increased sensitivity / swelling of urethra / general irritation thats not always constant but rather comes and goes? I have been dealing with my problem for over a year now and at first it was a terrible stinging pain at the tip of the urethra (that was a digestion issue that allowed certain foods to go into blood stream and immune system would actually attack my prostate for whatever reason which casued that pain). I know that if something is going on with your prostate the symptoms manifest in the head of the penis and personally after ejaculation or sometimes randomly throughout the day ill feel what seems to be slight burn or inflammation up in there. I just hope the hydrocortisone did not actually compound the issue. And like I said if anyone notices that the irritation/discomfort comes and goes through out the day for whatever reason Id be curious to see if we could narrow down a commonality. If you do have on and off irritation I would reccomend being actively aware of your pelvic muscles down there. For me I know that if Im stressed or doing something that causes me to tense up those muslces will unconsciously tighten and I notice increased sensitivity with it. Try relaxing and breathing with your belly and it might help. 
    • Posted

When I initially went to the doctor about it, hydrocortisone was the first thing they prescribed me. I think I used it for no more than a week and stopped because it can and does thin the skin and as my issue seems to be sub-dermal, any thinning of the skin on my glans would only make it look even worse.

I can 100% relate to the urethral irritation you refer to; its does seem to only happen now and again. It was certainly worse immediatley after it first happened, but now I only feel it randomly or straight after ejaculating but even then only lasts for 30 mins. Although I do also experience left pelvic discomfort as well. I may have a prostate issue I don't know I have or due to a varicocele.

In regards to commonalities, there might be a dietary cause but I couldn't narrow it down. I only drink water, so it can't be that.

• Posted

As far as dietary reasons go I had to cut out gluten and dairy to make the really bad pain affiliated with the prostate stop and I havent experienced that for a long time. I have not been able to pin point a food I am eating now that correlates with when I get the irritation. When you experence the urethral irritation does it actually look like the urethra at the meatus is swollen? I notice that when I experience my irriattion it appears to be a bit red and swollen semi shut. Also other then the anitbioitics youve been on have you ever been on accutane? I had to use it for acne and the pain/irritation started in the 5th month of the accutane treatment, however I havent been able to link the two. I also notice that when I workout the irritation fades away, its almost like everything relaxes down there for a time being and gradually comes back to on and off (talking only a few hours at max). Some days seem to be worse then others as well, Ive gone a few days without any discomfort and then for whatever reason the discomfort will come back. Still sound like what you have going on?
    • Posted

I'm not intolerant to any foods, but I eat health alternatives wherever possible; gluten free bread/spread, almond milk etc. Although I am susceptible to junk food binges every now and again lol.

The skin around my urethra has always been pinker/redder ever since my reaction, but not swollen. The irritation comes and goes through.

Nope never taken Accutane so couldn't comment on that.

Your workout thesis certainly makes sense; blood gets pumped to other parts of the body, possibly taking some away from the genitals thus reducing any inflammation in the area.

• Posted

Hi bman, I've been suffering from very similar symptoms since I was 16 (22 now) but what I find really interesting is that you mentioned you believe the catalyst (if not the cause) of all this was a course of Accutane. I have always been adamant in my thinking that all of my symptoms started after a 6 month course of Accutane at 80mg a day. Some symptoms are not completely in line with yours but I think the overlap is simply too extensive to be discarded (and i suspect it is all related to the improper functioning of the pudendal nerve caused by Accutane for some unknown reason). My symptoms started with prostatitis-like characteristics - uncomfortable bowels, frequent urination, painful aching after ejaculation, inflamed urethra ( especially after ejaculation), dull aching in my perineum, and of course, an agonizing discomfort when my penis rubbed against my boxers, accompanied by a blotchy red discoloration that comes and goes. Doctors always told me it looked completely fine but I knew that the rash was never fully visible during their inspections. I've seen a multitude of urologists but they can't figure anything out other than that it's not an std or infection. I'm very interested- how aggressive are your prostate symptoms (bowels, urinary, etc)? How much Accutane you were taking daily? What does your diet to reduce prostate symptoms look like? I have blood flow issues and raynauds syndrome in my hands and feet (and I believe penis as well) - do you have any known issues with circulation? Also just generally curious in your medical history in regards to this affliction as I keep talking with Drs trying to figure it out. One of the best theories I have come to is that Accutane triggered a kind of autoimmune disease (as it has been known to do so if you are predisposed). Let me know what you think about all of this stuff, any further info you could add would be greatly appreciated

• Posted

hi - im suffering from very similar symptons for nearly a year now.

i see you mentioned that certain foods initially caused an immune response and directly affected your prostate and pain in urethra.

can you kindly expand on that - what digestion issue was it medically? and what foods?

would really appreciate your help - struggling here!

• Posted

Glad I found this thread. First off I ha e the exact same condition as you all. Can't for the life of me figure out what the deal is, and it is DEFINITELY worse after sex.

Now, I have been diagnosed with herpes simplex virus 2 however to my knowledge there is no relation whatsoever between these two conditions. I say this because I take daily antivirals for hsv2 and never have outbreaks while I am on them (it also is a very different rash). I do occasionally get the lesions in my mouth/gums even though I do not have oral herpes and they do seem to coincide with when I started getting this rash. If I had to guess I'd say it also has to do with a sexual encounter somehow but I can't be sure. When I was tested for herpes I was also tested for everything else to which I came up negative. Any insight someone could provide would be great because honestly I feel bad enough about myself already, and having to look at another rash every day that reminds me of my permanent condition every time I pee really sucks.

Also, in the US you have to specifically ask for a herpes test. Typical at screens do not cover this. Just throwing that out there.

• Edited

Glad to see I'm the only one with a penis problem. I've had this for over 4 years... All started after unprotected intercourse.. Girl gave me chlamydia. I took azithromycin and rocephin but had pain in penis head for about a week so they gave me 7 days of doxycline. Wierd thing is about a week and half after taking doxycline I started getting crazy balanitis which came and went. This accompanied tingling prickly pins and needles pain at random spots on my penis head. The balanitis comes and goes. For the longest time I thought I had a unidentified infection (got tested like million times for everything and all negative) but I'm starting to think it may be some adverse reaction to antibiotics that damaged my penis nerves and is somehow causing me rashes. Or possibly auto immune disease of my penis that's causing me rashes and nerve problems?

BTW I got a biopsy about2 yrs ago and they found plasma cells which is consistent with zoons balanitis. But this doesn't really tell me anything because plasma cells just mean inflammation.... Not many ppl biopsy their penis so it's probably way under diagnosed.

• Posted

It's quite common for antibiotics to cause balanitis, but it should clear up after you stop taking them.

• Posted

So, it never goes away.... this is sad, mine too came after unprotected sex, after the antibiotics I was given, new rashes came and they have not left in 8 months.

I have seem countless doctors, they have no idea what to do or say apart from "fungi" infection. All they ointments never worked

I want to go celibate without masturbation for six months to see if my body can heal

• Posted

Did your STD screenings include tests for herpes simplex virus? Often the "full panel" does not include herpes unless you are experiencing obvious herpes symptoms (blistering, pain, etc.). But 80% of the time, symptoms of herpes are so mild or even silent that it gets dismissed as something else.

• Edited

i read another person on hear was told its zoons balanitis

• Posted

I tried not doing anything sexual including maturbation for almost 9 months. quite frankly i cannot fond any correlation between my actions of any kind and the intensity of the pain. The pain comes and goes in waves but even when the irritation is low, I still have some slight pain and its never feels right like before I made the mistake of unprotected oral sex. My only hope at this point is that some doctor gets it and starts trying to isolate what it could be, or that eventually my body builds up an immunity and it just goes away. The human body can do amazing things and I am hokding out hope however slim.

• Posted

u need to go start seeing what it is and what can help it many of us have this

• Posted

i would biopsy mine they say it wont scar so but i never got the opportunity, did they say how to heal or what can help with zoons balantitus

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.