Blotchy skin when stressed

Posted , 3 users are following.

Whenever I am uncomfortable, in a situation I don't want to be in or talk about issues that are causing me to be stressed or anxious, my face, chest and shoulders go really hot, red and blotchy. I called in to see a close friend of 25 years earlier, she asked me about the problems my husband and I are having, I didn't feel uncomfortable talking to her as we often catch up over coffee and chat. Anyway, in minutes my face etc had gone all blotchy and bright red. I was embarrassed, she asked if it was stress induced..which made me think so I googled it. I have a lot going on in my life at the moment and am constantly stressed, upset and I believe I am depressed. Could stress and anxiety cause the hot, red face? It lasted about half hour I guess, from very bad to just rosey cheeks. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to stop it happening? Apart from chilling out and not stressing..I wish it was that easy. :-( X

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Yes, this does sound stressed induced, you could try taking an antihistamine to get rid of it quicker

• Posted

Hi I have been dealing with a lot of anxiety and stress lately ( more than usual) and over the last 2 weeks since feeling this way I have had a red blotchy face and feels hot and flushed. So I think it's definitely that.
  • Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply, it means a lot. I know it is a small thing, it's not an illness but it affects my confidence. I have recently come to the conclusion that I am allergic to all types of alcohol as the blotchy face happens every time I have an alcoholic drink, no matter what it is. I also get bungled up and sometimes have a red strip across my nose. I read somewhere that taking an antihistamine could help with this..shamefully I like a drink, not drinking everyday anymore but when I do I hide because of my face and town not and bright red it is, I hate it so much and can't believe it is happening more and more, now with stress too. :-( X
    • Posted

Eactly the same thing happens to me when I have alcohol or am stressed. I've found that being in a warm place makes it worse. When i go out for a drink, I tend to have an antihisamine a couple of hours before hand and take off any coats or jackets when sitting inside so my body doesn't get too warm. Mine annoyingly started happening in my first year of uni and five years later unfortunately hasn't gone away. It sucks and I wish it didn't happen but I just wanted you to know you're not alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.