Blowing up balloons - A simple relief for acid reflux.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Five years ago, I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia after having suffered from acid reflux or GERD for a long time. Nexium was prescribed and it helped a little but the reflux persisted until I started blowing up balloons after reading about the benefits on the internet. There was immediate relief and this practice strengthened my diaphragm so now the condition rarely troubles me. It took a while to refine my technique until i was satisfied with the outcome. Needless to say, this practice has now become a valued and useful part of my lifestyle.

Here's how it works for me. Several times a day (at least twice) I partially blow up a balloon without undue exertion - three steady puffs are enough - then carefully let it deflate (by taking the balloon out of my mouth and using my fingers as a valve) while my lungs refill The trick is, during the slow release of air from the balloon, to not take deliberate breaths but just allow the lungs to fill naturally with air (ie do not deep breathe.) This is important - no hyperventilating. Repeat this sequence it will become quite effortless, very calming and, eventually, second nature.

I enjoy this activity for perhaps 20 minutes each session - usually at bedtimes but often in the middle of the day on a sun lounge - always lying down and listening to music or so it becomes a kind of meditation. That sense of relaxation is a most welcome feeling as is my much improved lung capacity. However the vital outcome is that (provided my diet is sensible) the reflux or GERD is no longer a problem (and my Nexium tablets remain in their packet). Plus there are literally dozens of other benefits achieved by this simple breath control exercise - lower blood pressure and increased mental acuity being two.

Blowing up balloons certainly works for me. (And I'm now 73, expecting to live well into old age, my future untroubled  by the acid reflux of my past!) I hope it gives you relief also.

4 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Wow this is interesting and actually totally makes sense. As a sufferer from awful reflux I'm always looking for other options apart from just drugs and I will try this. I certainly never breathe deeply or relax much so perhaps this will help. Thanks for sharing and glad it's helped you so much 😊

• Posted

Hi Northam

Very interesting to read your post on "blowing up balloons" I have read that Breathing Properly is very beneficial generally so this makes sense. I shall put balloons on my shopping list.

All the best

Robin

• Posted

Do you breathe back in the air from the balloon? I understand the first part about blowing it up for about 3 good breaths, but then ya list me. Sorry..what do you mean u use your fingers as a valve and let it deflate, does it deflate in yr mouth? This sounds like something tht may work...thank you for clarifying..wink
    • Posted

Hi terrie27149.

No, never. I definitely don't deflate the balloon in my mouth. That doesn't sound like a good idea at all. After blowing the balloon up, I hold it well away from my mouth, then relax my grip on the balloon enough to allow the air to  gradually escape. Meanwhile my lungs are filling again. This procedure is repeated many times, I hope this helps.

• Posted

But if you can't breathe in, how does your lungs fill naturally. I am so sorry, I can't grasp this..wink

• Posted

I do breathe in of course - through my nose, gently and without a concious effort. Otherwise I think I would lose this calm feeling of meditation that I enjoy so much. So, while the expelled air escapes from the balloon my lungs seem to naturally fill again. Slowly, as I am not in any hurry. This pattern of concentrating while blowing up the balloon then relaxing before the next time  is second nature to me now. And my lungs are definitely getting better at it. My sole aim was to manage acid reflux - which I have achieved, thankfully - and this greatly increased lung capacity is a welcome bonus. I think you will be able to breathe in without trying hard - ie naturally.  Give it a try.
    • Posted

Gotcha..thank you sooo very much..will sure get a balloon and try this..I sure pray it helps others as well. So many suffering..take care and thank you again for sharing..Blessings...smile
  • Posted

Do you breathe back in the air from the balloon? I understand the first part about blowing it up for about 3 good breaths, but then ya list me. Sorry..what do you mean u use your fingers as a valve and let it deflate, does it deflate in yr mouth? This sounds like something tht may work...thank you for clarifying..wink
  • Posted

Did you ever get very sharp or stabbing pain in your chest and throat that worsened when you bent over?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.