Blown Vein Advice Please?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've just had my bloods taken at the doctors. The nurse that took my blood must have blown my vein in my arm as it immediately began to swell, she applied pressure then told me to apply pressure before leaving. It has been about 3 hours now and it is sore and obviously still swollen. Does anyone please have advice on how to calm the swelling and also how long will it take for my vein to heal/go back to normal?

thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have venesections for haemochromotosis and this happened to me, it will go down in a day or two but will bruise quite badly and feel sore for a week or so. My hand swelled like an egg, was a bit scary. Nurse said the vein blew also. Apart from pressure which to be honest just spreads the leaked blood around nothing you can do until nature heals it naturally.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.