blue badge

Posted , 13 users are following.

hi folks ...has anyone ever got a blue badge for parking after an hip replacement...I will be unable to weightbear for 2 months due to an impaction aswell but the council told me today "get someone to ferry you about" i just think they are clueless ,

3 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was amazed at how easily and quickly I got my blue badge.  I applied for it online on Friday night just before the August bank holiday.  I had not yet been for X-Ray or seen my own GP although I had seen a locum GP who had given me painkillers.  I was scrupulously honest in what I put on the form.  I expected them to contact me or send me to their medical officer.  They didn't do either, I don't know if they contacted my GP but the blue badge  arrived via post on Thursday 3 September.

Since then I have seen GP, been  X-rayed, seen the consultant and had my hip replaced and am now 9 days post-op.  

• Posted

Did you manage ok after your op.I recall you

were alone at home.

how are you feeling?

Cathie

• Posted

I'm doing fine thanks Cathie.  Managing without help.  I'm getting out twice a day most days although torrential rain stopped me yesterday afternoon but made up for it this morning.  Feeling very pleased with how things are going.

Joan

• Posted

Have you any tips to share? A friend told me she went upstairs

on her rear end! I do admire you for doing it alone. Did you say

you were the same age as me?

Cathie

• Posted

Just take your time with everything.  I haven't found stairs a problem as I have two good banisters as well as crutches.  I did get an additional crutch so I can leave one upstairs and only use one on the stairs.  I also have one grasper upstairs and one down.  

I do do try and walk twice a day and do what is comfortable.  I try and increase it each time but if you don't succeed don't let it worry you.  There was one morning when walking was hard and I had a bit of pain and I did less than the previous day.  I felt a little depressed but just rested and by the afternoon I was able to walk further than before without pain or tiredness.

i am 63.

joan

• Posted

Karen have you had your op yet? I note your going to be none weight bearing, I've been looking out for someone with this as I'm also none weight bearing for 3 months!

Vicki

• Posted

hi im now 3 week post op ...in the end i didnt get a bone graft impaction due to my pelvis being to small ...im still on 2 crutches, im getting around the house fine and do the odd thing and walked to the shop twice but find it painful to sit for to long.....im bored and feeling fed up ....how are you getting on x
    • Posted

Poor you, I'm pretty much the same. None weight bearing for 12 weeks, can toe touch 10% of body weight for last 6 weeks, whatever that means! Hopping on one leg with crutches hard work. Sitting down uncomfortable. Bored too! How long will your recovery be?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.