Blunt force trauma to face

Posted , 3 users are following.

Merry Christmas to me! Early Saturday morning I had an incident that result in MAJOR facial swelling and a cheek hematoma. After a visit to the hospital and an x-ray, they shockingly said there were no visible fractures... HOWEVER.... there was a fuzzy area next to my eye/nose which could be a fracture. Said to keep an eye out for double vision, ice as much as possible for three days and then switch to heat. So here I am, day 3 and still icing. Swelling has gone down about 50% in my face but has also spread to the bridge of my nose and now my jawline/upper neck (on the injured side).

All that being said... my concern now is the blood that's been pooling on the side of my eye (entire half of the white), I thought it would be getting better but it just seems to be bulging more.... and that my viciously blackish-purple eye seems to have spread to my other eye? Is that possible? I was thinking the swelling that developed between my eyes caused that? But thought it was odd because the trauma was on the complete other side of my face.

I'm a nervous nelly anyway, so you can imagine I am a total train wreck when dealing with head injuries. Uh. I'd love to hear from anyone with experience with this kind of thing!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hope you get better soon. I have been in extreme pain myself suffering from severe frozen shoulder in my left arm awaiting to hear from the hospital for an appointment for surgery. Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

• Posted

Frozen shoulder??? I've never heard of that but it sounds awful! I hope you feel better soon too!

• Posted

Just spoke with a friend of the family who is a Dr, going to post her reply for those who may be in a similar position.

Pretty straight forward... it's normal. That the vessels are very sensitive (for the bloody eye AND the black eye on the "good" side)... As long as there's no double vision or limit in the range of eye movement, it's alright.

Also, as I mentioned... at the hospital I was told cold compress for 3 days and then switch to hot. I was just told to stick to strictly cold... Maybe because the swelling is pretty extreme... 😕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.