Blurred Vision after cataract surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

My name is Susan and I am 63 yrs old. I was first diagnosed with Diabetes in 2007 and by Jan 2008 I had my first cataract surgery on the right eye. I wore a patch for 3 days and stayed in the dark then took it off and I can see. The cataract in the left eye was just beginning. Now it is 9 yrs later and it got so back I had the surgery on Aug 28, 2017 but no patch except at night and put drops in every 6hrs. It has been 6 days but I still can't focus out of that eye. I go see the doctor on Tues Sept 5. I don't have the cloudiness like I did and can see stuff but still blurry. Any ideas?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you had your post op visit with you surgeon?   For some people it can take several days for swelling to go down or there could be inflammation.  Were you given eye drops(steroid and antibiotic)?  Those are the more common complications after cataract surgery. Some surgeons will see you at 1 week post op.  (My own is at 24 hrs then at 6 weeks).   If you don't have an appointment to discuss this you should contact the doc's office and make one.

• Posted

yes I went to see the surgeon on the day after surgery which he had me read the chart wich I could not see and checked the air pressure which was normal as well as shine the light in the eye. And yes, I have 3 drops I put in my eye every 6 hrs and creme for night and go back on the 5th.
    • Posted

Glad you have another visit.  If vision isn't sharp at least for one distance by 5th surgeon should be able to determine why.  Your post op visit you mentioned being blurry but did surgeon let you know what you scored on acuity test?  For some people it can take a while for vision to clear / no need to worry.  Along with prescribed drops you can use artificial tears (Refresh or Systane).  Dry eye can also be associated with blurry vision.  Once inflammation and swelling from surgery goes done (sometimes up to 3 weeks) and vision still blurry it could be astigmatism (can be induced by surgery itself) or lens power off.  All of which can be corrected.  This is why you can't get a prescription for eye glasses for 7 weeks.  Eyes take that long to really settle after surgery.

• Posted

After my cataract operation on my right eye I had blur for around a week which disappeared gradually , yours should be the same so don't worry

• Posted

Thanks Vicki. It does seem better but still not in focus yet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.