Blurred vision after Symfony lens implant

Posted , 11 users are following.

About 18 months ago, I had cataract surgey and an Symfony toric lens was implanted. During the day I have no problem. I can see distance fine and pretty well up close. I can see this screen fine but cannot read smaller print. My problem is at night. I have much worse vision now than I did before surgery. If I go into a movie theater, there is a glare all around the screen, same is true for television in the evening. Street lights have halos around them that I never had before. There is a glare that looks like I'm looking through oil on my lens. Within the halos, I can actually see the toric rings visible. It is very difficult to drive at night, walk in the neighborhood as the lights create large halos. Has anyone else had this problem?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I have Symfony lenses (regular not toric) and see fine all distances during the day. At night I see the concentric circles around red traffic lights, cars when brakes are applied and certain LED lights. I do not see a glare around theatre screen or TV screen. is it a strong glare to point where it is distracting ? Have you tried turning on lights rather than watching TV in the dark - that might help a bit.

• Posted

You may have PCO especially if the glare has slowly gotten worse over the 18 months. Your doctor should be able to confirm this and if it needs to be treat with the YAG laser. Just note, if you get the YAG treatment, it is very difficult to exchange the lens if that is something you are considering.

• Posted

I GOT A 2nd opinion and was told that removing the implant was very difficult to do; could cause infection and was not recommended.

• Posted

I had Symfony non toric lens in one eye a little less than 4 weeks ago.

I have all the symptoms you mention and am kind of glad to read your post. I do not have glare around TV and I have not been to movie theater since surgery. I watch TV with light on. I will know about theater in a couple of weeks and I would hate for that to happen.

Also the street light halos are only for those that are close to me maybe just the nearest one. I see the rings in the halos sometimes but are not bothersome.

The glare like looking through oil happens when my pupil dilates more than the lens at night. It feels like something is stuck on your lens and you cannot wipe it. AND every small light tries to make a glare.

Disappointed to note that you have it even after 18 months. I was told it goes away when the eye heals over lens edge and as I get older and as the pupil dilates less. I have been prescribed alphagan drops but I have not used them. I have installed micro led lights in the car to constrict my pupil while driving at night.

How old are you?

• Posted

HI. I was 66 at the time of surgery. The doc prescribed an rx but it did not help.

• Posted

Hello Maeca 1950,

I understand that the lights that you installed in your car helping you with your vision at night, can you tell me little bit about those micro lights, where exactly did you install them in the car and what model are this so I know what I'm looking for?

Thank You

• Posted

These are 3M micro led lights. You get them in automotive section of convenience stores. They are advertised for car floor lighting. 2 lights come with adhesive I have one stuck on roof and other on the dash on the passenger side pointing towards me. The third light is on the lighter plug which comes with an easy on / off button. You can play around with it for best angles. costs 8$. Without these the IoL edge glare is maddening.

Another thing that helps is making sure you use the prescribed glasses for the other eye. That helps reduce the effect.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your cataract surgery situation, I had my eyes done 6 months ago and I am experiencing the same issues.I was told by the surgeon that once my brain adjust to the implants the blurriness/cloudiness will go away.I have yet to see any change since my surgery 6 months ago and is doubtful it will improve.Very disturbing results.

• Posted

Thanks. This is rather discouraging. After 18 months, I don't have much hope that things will improve.

• Posted

cannot understand why a doctor would say blurriness and cloudiness will go away. Sometimes the drops cause this as people react differently to them and healing. But after those are done (4 to 6 weeks) vision should be clear. I could see clearly after 24 hours. There is another issue going on that needs further investigating (that your 'sounds like' your doctor doesn't want to bother with. Or if not an issue with your eyes, power is miscalculated or you have astigmatism.

• Posted

You are not alone. After a year since the surgery, I still have all the symptoms you mention.

• Posted

I have a Symfony lens in my left eye, 3 months. I also experience halos around lights, and yes the concentric circles behind the halos. I also have bad starbursts on lights. On streetlights at distance it is starbursts with concentric circles, as I get closer the starbursts shrink to a fuzzy halo around the light. Headlights are mainly starbursts. I do have some night glare around screens, it is there but not horribly severe. My opthalmologist prescribed me night driving glasses 0.5D for that eye. It really sharpens things up, it doesn't make the halos and starbursts go away but the clarity of vision helps make night driving easier.

• Posted

Edit: It was my optometrist who prescribed the driving glasses. He said that some people experience a night myopia. He said he prescribes this correction a lot for law enforcement to help them with night vision.

• Posted

Your issues are similar to mine. Daytime, sunglasses are a must. Nighttime I get "star bursts". Left eye 1 to 7 O'clock glare, Right eye 10 to 4 glare... it makes a nice cross. It's almost like scratches on the replacement lens. My vision is close to pre-cataract surgery, so no problem there. Headlights and streetlights are almost devistating to deal with. Have you talked with the Doctor? I remember the Doctor told me that some blurriness, similar to cataracts, may happen several months after surgery, and that a simple laser procedure will clear up that issue. If anyone has an idea or suggestion to reduce or eliminate the nighttime glare, I'm all ears. I have drops from the Doctor- - - no help... I bought a pair of those daytime "tactical" glasses- - - again, no help. I've heard another type of surgery can correct the halos and star bursts... but I've heard the good and bad problems with this surgery are 50/50. Good luck, I Hope you find something that works for you.

• Posted

hi kidtjr

are those star bursts or edge glare? those arcs are much bigger than the concentric circles. i mostly see them from 7 o clock to 5 o clock so almost a full circle. i also see the start of the upper haptic at 12 o clock. and sometimes even the lower one.

i have solution for driving. need one for outdoor walks. maybe glasses with illuminated sides.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.