Blurred vision in one eye, being sent on emergency appointment to hospital

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I am new to the forums but just wanted some advice.  For the last few days I have had blurred vision in my right eye.  Its a bit like something has steamed my glasses up from the middle to the bottom and my vision is hazy.  This came on after I wearing contact lenses and I thought I had something in my eye.

I went to an opticians today and they can't see anything wrong so are now sending me on an emergency hospital appointment. Two opticians looked at my vision and I could hear them discussing tumours, ulcers etc.  I am now waiting for a call to go to hospital and am petrified!!  I do have crohns disease but that is under control at the moment so not sure that could be a link.  Im actually sat in tears though worried sick!

Any help or advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Crohns disease and eye problems can be linked to vitamin b12 deficiency.  I presume you have been checked for this.
    • Posted

Hi no I've not been checked for b12 deficiency. I do take iron for anaemia though.

I did mention crohns to opticians and hospital but they didn't even check for any links. Thank you I will ask my GP about that too.

So glad I've come onto this site and getting much more info from you all.

• Posted

After being diagnosed with pernicious anemia and lack of vit b12 I then had a lot of eye problems including macular hole in eye.  I had to have a vitrectomy and then cataract surgery.  AI now also have a lot of stomach and bowel problems.  From what I have been given to understand they are all related.
    • Posted

Thank you Isabel, that's really informative. I've recently changed crohns consultant because the first one was rubbish. I will certainly be asking about eye issues and the link to crohns.

Its quite frustrating because the crohns itself is really settled at the moment. Hope your issues are under control.

• Posted

Forgot to say when you have crohns your body will not usually absorb vit b12 and you tend to need injections for life.  They are not painful and you get used to it but it is worth asking for a b12 test.  Iron tablets dont do as much good.
    • Posted

Thank you, I will discuss this tomorrow at my GP I'm used to injections now and blood tests etc so if it is something I need then I can get that sorted out too.
  • Posted

Hi all,

Well next turn of events I got a second opinion at optician today.  They said it is some sort of retinal vein occlusion and they are concerned as to why it has happened to me at a young age and want to make sure I am not at risk of clots happening elsewhere!  Especially as even with my crohns I am very healthy.  He said my eye all looks good etc but he wants it checking asap.

So I am back to the doctors on Monday with my referral note written and handed to me today with a big urgent written on it!  Bit scary being told well you could be at risks from other clots! Feels like a long wait till Monday!  Oh well off to harrass my GP once more.

Alison I hope you had some better luck today at your appointment?

• Posted

Good evening lb

sorry it's been so long...

my trip to Southampton didn't resolve any issues -just made things more complicated!  Seems the Ozurdex that I had injected into my eye has caused raised pressure and is something I have to be careful with -googling tells me it could lead to glaucoma -yet another way to lose sight! So I'm back to having the monthly injections if the swelling comes back. My next appointment at Southampton is in May and I've got to continue putting drops in my eye for the raised pressure until I go back. I'm really hoping it's good news so I can book my annual trip to a Greek Isle with my ASD daughter -it's our chill-out girlie time!

how have you got on? Have you got a diagnosis yet? If it is a RVO don't forget to get them to check for factor V Leiden. Although the consultant at Southampton went through the speech about it not having a proven link with RVOs, when I said that I was no further forward to preventing it happening again, she said "but you're on the Warfarin now, so it won't"!

anyway, I hope you've got more positive news.

off to rescue dinner now -I can smell burning!

• Posted

Hi Alison, I have been away from the message boards fot a little bit too then I could not log on!!  Im ok thank you, no diagnosis yet and I can report my sight is 100% back to normal at the moment. The hospital managed to make two appointments to see the consultant in April, so had to chase them to cancel one!!!  I have the info you gave me about RVO written down so I have it to hand when I go.

Sorry to hear you are no further forward.  What a nightmare that the injection could have caused another potential issue.  Sounds like most of these people looking at our eyes don't really know what is going on, then again all these meds seem to bring up problems, I took a crohns med and was urgently taken off it because it was starting to give me liver damage so bit scary what we end up putting in ourselves.

I really hope someone can help you more in May.  Sounds like you really need the holiday and chill out time with your daughter, you will needs some de stress time after these hospital appointments.  

I have a few days away planned soon with my boyfriend so Im hoping nothing else comes up with me too.  Fingers crossed for you and keep me updated, think you maybe just need to book the trip away to greece anyway nice bit of warmth can do the world of good!  Take care and I hope your dinner wasnt burnt :-) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.