Blurry patch after yag capsulotomy

Posted , 24 users are following.

Hi all

Anyone out there had a YAG capsulotomy resulting in intermittent blurriness? The vision is certainly improved from pre-laser when the blurriness is less evident. If I look straight ahead with my eyes still the vision quickly becomes clear, however the second I move my eyes left or right, up or down the blurry patch returns. The optemetrist from where I had the procedure says that the surgeon intentionally left flaps of the lasered capsule attached to the edges and that they will eventually fold in toward the vitreous. This kind of made sense to me but it's been 2 weeks now and it's exactly the same. How long are you expected to wait for these 'flaps' to fold in? Even if more time was needed for them to move away from my visual axis completely, I would at least expect some difference in my symptoms after 2 weeks. Many thanks all.

2 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have you had any updates. I had YAG and i have the same issue. i am a financial analyst. i have to use multiple pc monitors. When i look down and up the capsule piece flies across my vision. same when i look left to right. it drives me crazy and makes me anxious. i am scared i will lose my job because of it. i went to a floater doctor and he said that there was a chance he could make worse with laser. i do not know what to do. anybody have any success with the issue?

• Posted

David, I had a similar issue occur with floaters after YAG. Did your vision improve eventually as the floaters are suppose to eventually resolve by disintegrating so the floaters are not in your central vision.

• Posted

Hi . seems you have exactly same problem as me ,i had YAG treatment last September I went back to see the surgeon but was not happy with his answer I was very worried so I went to see my optician he told me same as you were told but i asked last week for second opinion because symptoms haven't changed I had appointment today I had very thorough eye examination looked like an x-ray back of my eye he showed me everything he told me exactly what I had been told before ,asked him how long it will take to repair itself he said could be weeks , months or even a year its a waiting game, said I have got to wait until my next eye test then go from there hope this helps .i don't think its as noticeable as it was at beginning getting used to it I expect , one good thing I only wear glasses now for reading .

• Edited

I found this forum because I'm having the same issue. I'm very young for this procedure (38), had it 3 1/2 weeks ago and have the same large piece floating in my vision. From doing research I believe this could be avoided by a cruciate (cross) cut pattern, where my ophthalmologist did a full circular cut. I've also been given the same information, to just wait and it'll get better.

If things don't improve for me I'm going to look to get legal involved. I believe the cutting pattern selection is where my doctor was negligent given my age. Full circular is not recommended by the American Academy of Ophthalmology due to floaters and should especially be avoided in cases of young patients with thick vitreous fluid.

Since there are multiple people on this forum with the same issue, I'm wondering if we can compile some information to try to find a pattern and maybe some hope of improvement:

Age - 38

Pattern of "cut" - Full Circular

Length of time since capsulotomy - 3.5 weeks

Did issue improve or resolve? - No

Any additional Yag performed to break up piece? - No

• Posted

I am interested in knowing if your floaters improved after 3 and one-half weeks. How are you doing currently?

• Posted

I was interested in knowing about what happened after your YAG procedure. YOU mentioned you had intermittent blurriness that had not resolved after 2 weeks. Your post was 5 years ago. Did the floaters go away, and how long did that take? I am interested to know as I had a similar situation occur recently. Appreciate how your eyes are doing currently, and did you do anything to clear up the floaters or did the floaters disappear eventually.

• Edited

A vitrectomy solved the post-YAG cap blurriness for me. I cannot tell you what a relief it is to see without blurry patches floating in front of my eye! (I say eye because the second eye hasn't yet been done. It is scheduled in a month.) The blurry patches were worst on a sunny day. I think light refracted off of the floating fragments.

Several replies in this thread spoke of a vitrectomy as the solution to the blurriness following a YAG cap. They expressed reluctance with doing the procedure. So I took a super cautious approach, working with a trusted opthamologist to be sure this was the way to go before doing the surgery. We ultimately speculated that the vitreous in my eye was just more liquid than most and that's why the capsule fragments hadn't just settled out of sight. The vitrectomy procedure was simpler than the original cataract surgery. I'm not sure why others were reluctant to do it.

I now have one eye with crystal clear vision again. I wish I had done the vitrectomy sooner and look forward to getting the second eye done.

Coda: Cataracts have been a 2+ year journey. The original surgeries were in December 2020 and September 2021. (The delay between them is another story.) The YAG caps were done in November and December 2021. I had the first Vitrectomy in November 2022. The second one is scheduled for January 2023.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.