Blurry vision and vomitting after riding bike up a hill

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm 20 year old female and I don't exercise at all so I would say I'm unfit. Yesterday I was out riding a bike and within the first few minutes, I had to ride up a hill. The hill wasn't too steep but I could feel myself getting out of breath, legs burning and heart pounding faster. As I reached the top I continued on riding but started to get blurry vision and it got so bad I had to stop and get off my bike. I quickly sat down on the grass and tried to breathe in deep to normalize my vision again. My vision was not getting better after like two minutes and then I suddenly felt like I couldn't breathe. Every inhale and exhale felt like I was breathing through a straw and I think I felt something funny happen in my heart but I don't remember. The breathing felt like my throat was closing as if I was having an allergic reaction. This only lasted a few seconds and I then felt a bit nauseous and puked a few seconds later. My vision went back to normal after puking and I felt fine after that. I haven't biked in three months, but I have rode up hills three months prior and felt out of breath but didn't have any of these symtpoms. Before, I had a big meal and went biking a few minutes after that and had no drink with the meal. When I was younger I have experienced blurring of my vision after strenuous exercise usually from running and have almost always puked after getting blurry vision but never had any breathing problems. I thought I was having a heart attack or allergic reaction to something I ate. I have had heart palpitations before where it feels like my heart flutters and then I feel like I lose my breath for a few seconds. Could I have unknown heart problems or was I having a mini heart attack? Any advice or ideas of what happened would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Forgot to mention that my ears also felt really full after I sat down.
  • Posted

Sarah,  Sorry you're having these problems.  Sounds like you're having some heart effect from the exercise;  either an irregular heart beat, low blood pressure or some other heart effect.  You should definitely see your doctor about these symptoms.  They might want to do a 24 hour heart monitor, a stress test, or they may attribute it to anxiety.  I'd call your doctor in the morning.  In the mean time avoid the exercise activities that cause the symptoms.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.