Blurry vision in one eye and weird remedy - what's going on?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys,

my vision in the right eye is totally okay. The left eye is not so great, it gets blurry from distance (myopia?). The right eye compensates it of course, so in general my two-eyed vision is fine. But I'm very curious about the left eye. Several weeks ago I found about something super weird. When I cover my right (better) eye and look with the left eye alone, it's blurry like I said. But when I place anything, let's say a finger, very close to the bottom of the left eye, so it just slightly covers the image, my vision in the left eye becomes... perfect! It's even better than in my right eye. Same thing happens when I pull the eyelid from the left side further to the left, but that can slightly change the position of the eye, so is more understandable. How is this possible? Does the finger (or any other object) work like lens in this case? Do you think there's a chance for my eye to see better?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure, but have you had your vision checked lately? You could have cataracts in both eyes or only in the left eye or something else that's causing your blurry vision.

• Posted

Correction, I meant to ask if you had your eyes checked lately, not your vision.
    • Posted

Yes, I had my vision tested. The doctor was useless, she completely ignored what I said about this "finger" thing. That's why I avoid doctors, most of them are automated and I'd probably just end up wearing glasses.

• Posted

I can't comment about the finger thing myself since I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

• Posted

And I also never heard anything about this before you mentioned it, so I personally have no answer for you. Maybe try to research it online.
  • Posted

I tried to research, but found nothing. I just found out that the finger doesn't need to be very close to the eye. I will try to explain what I mean by that finger thing.

So imagine you cover one of your eyes entirely. Then, you look at the distance, let's say a tree that is 10 meters away (33 feet) with just one eye. Next, you place any object (make that a finger) at the front of your eye, let's say 2 cm away. You see the tree and your finger is blurred, because the eye is focused on the far away. And now, this small field where the far away and the close object connect, within the blurred edge of the finger, which looks like semi-transparent, makes me see the far away perfectly! It's like I look at the tree through the blurred image of the edge of the finger.

Maybe that sounds like a lazy eye? My eye is definitely able to see perfectly like this example shows, but I wonder if that's lazy eye or maybe placing an object close and looking far, works a little like glasses, creating some pseudo-lens.

I hope that makes sense now.

• Posted

I don't know anything at all about lazy eye. It would be nice if an eye doctor answered questions on here. All I can suggest is to try to look it up online until you find something that sounds similar to what you experience.

• Posted

That makes me believe that I can keep the perfect eyesight smile
  • Posted

I think what you are experiencing is the 'pinhole effect'.  You are effectively making the area of vision much smaller and thats what happens. Try piercing a hole in a sheet of paper and looking through it. You sight should be crystal clear.

• Posted

You can buy "pinhole glasses" if you want to try it out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.