Blurry vision when i wake up, but improves throughout the day

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi,over the past few weeks, I have noticed that my vision has not been as good as it was when I was younger (20/20). When I wake in the morning, the vision in both my eyes is blurred..or cloudy . It is worse in my right than my left. It gets better throughout the day. My right eye is also very watery in the mornings.

I do have anxiety as I am going through a stressful time in my life. Could this be another physical symptom or something worse..I have done a bit of research, and even though most of it was not serious,I did find that it could be a sign of a brain tumour. This has made my anxiety worse.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should do? I might get an appointment to get an eye test done and see what they think it is...

Thanks, Jack

2 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jack if you are in the Irish Republic, I don't know whether the system is the same as the UK but in the UK you should be able to have your eyes tested by a HIgh Street Optometrist & if they find anything not quite right, they can refer you to the local eye clinic, otherwise, go to your GP & ask for a referral.

It does rather sound as though you have dry eyes though, too much staring at screens.

Have a look at this leaflet

https://patient.info/health/dry-eyes-leaflet

Good luck Jack, oh don't ask Dr Google too much!!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, high street optometrist? As in specsavers? I was going to get my eyes tested even before he blurry vision as I haven't had them tested in about 6 years, thanks for the reply.

P.S, I'm trying not to stare at screens as much...I have a feeling that might be the main cause.

• Posted

Yes, Jack, Specsavers.  I currently use Specsavers & they are very good.  I am also under an Ophthalmologist.

As for screens, the things that can cause dry eyes, are, screens [phone, tv, computers]  Driving is another thing, then there is air conditioning.

Drink plenty of water & limit your use of screens & Specsavers can recommend some artificial tears.  You don't need to buy expensive drops, generic ones are just as good.

• Posted

Ok, thanks. I read the article and I have the symptoms they said...temporary blurry vision, watery eyes etc....Thanks for the reply
    • Posted

I have the same problem, I wake up and I have blurred vison. I animate at my computer a lot, so I think I may have computer vison syndrome, that however, would not explain the lack of blurry vison upon being awake for a hour or so. You were right to say staring at screens too much can cause this though, just take breaks every 20 minutes to look at something 20 ft away for 20 seconds, and you should not get any computer related vison problems(unless you have bad posture)  It's also worth mentioning that eye doctors will have trouble diagnosing computer vison syndrome, and you have to decide for yourself. If you have blurry vison and frequent headaches, you likely have it.

• Posted

Did you find out what it was ?
    • Posted

Hi, sorry for the delayed response, it turned out to be related to all the stress I was under at the time. I got an eye test, and have been perscribed glasses for reading/ using screens. Other than that, my eyes are healthy. I haven’t had this problem for a long time now. I went to my gp, who checked my blood pressure, and it was normal. She told me that stress can cause symptoms like this.

Best thing to do is visit your GP or get an eye test, I hope this helped, Jack 

• Posted

I'm seeing a trend here .This is my theory though ,take it for a grain of salt. you've been using your cell phone ,computer , anything with a bright back ground at night before bed , I believe doing this is the equivalent of having a flash light in your face hitting your eyes every night for years causing these weird symptoms .Consider lowering the light on your cell, use a green bulb in a lamp if you must have more light. Drink a green veggie smoothie non gmo every morning , with a Turmeric supplement . Get a Health check up from a doctor , need to find out your blood sugar, blood pressure, ,then an eye Doctor . Do your self a favor stay away from MSG which is found in Asian food , ect , I had 2 ocular migraines from eating this , you think your having problems now ?. Get one of these , its true Terror. I'm not a doctor , this is all my own personal experience ,but I am doing great now , I also have anxiety and stress but its manageable without meds just fyi on that . Anyone here can try this but you must be dedicated , . Alright good luck remember though I'm no doctor just another keyboard rat. Make up your own mind. 

[b]Moderator comment: I have edited this post due to its medically unsubstantiated claims. We do not support these types of claims and we recommend seeking advice from a health professional[b]

• Posted

Hi did you ever find out what you issue was with your eyes? Only because I often get this and I had 2 eye test from 2 different places and both came back with same reading . I need glasses for my short version and my long is ok but would recommend glasses for that when driving too.

I put this down to using my phone alot at night to read some times I can be on it for good half hour or so in bed in the dark and then when I wake up . Because when I am not using it the blurry version in the distance is fine . Like now I am trying on my phone and when I look up I get it if I stay away it better. I turn my brightness right down at night in bed and it helps alot

Ps I was run down and had slight high blood pressure was around 150/ 84 but I've got it back to 124/75 or lower but there again I bloody get high blood pressure at the doctors but at home and work it's all good . Hope you get it sorted.

• Posted

Hi, sorry for the delayed reply,  only saw your reply now. I actually haven’t had this problem in a long time now. I did get an eye test, and have been perscribed glasses. Other than needing the glasses, my eyes are healthy. I went to my gp also, and my blood pressure was normal ( I forget the exact pressure, but was told it was perfect). At the time I posted this discussion, I was under a lot of stress and was told that stress can cause symptoms like blurry vision etc.

I hope this helps, sorry for the delayed reply,

Jack

• Posted

Hi guys - I don't see where Jack replied. Darn. I do not have dry eye. I use a nighttime ointment and my eyes are nice a lubricated in the mornings but I too am so blurry I cant see even with my glasses. It takes about 3 hours to normalize. I thought maybe it was too much water retention? I cant find answers..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.