BMI Concern

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello , new to the discussion group. i have done my research on weight and joint replacement. I am at a 44 bmi and in desperate need of a THR. Been denied surgery in Aug of last year because of this. Is there any one in the group who has had a THR with an equivalent or higher BMI. In alot of pain ]. Needing this desperately. Any feedback is appreciated, please just not negative

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am working on doing the work to get surgery and the other comment made about spending the money, its not about the money. I am the proud grandmother raising a 2 and 3 yr old by myself and work 50 plus hours a week. My pain level and mobility are not good trying to raise these kids. Need this surgery before I'm unable to take care of them. Fought long and hard to protect them.

• Posted

My hip robbed me of two years of my life .. I was so bad I couldn’t stand long enough to shower without pain .. doc I went to were heartless .. lose a hundred lbs and see me .. how when each step it feels like you are being stabbed.. now painfree .. I am like a walking miracle .. whatever I had to do to get a hip .. I did .. hang in there 
  • Posted

Hi Michelle,

I'm 8 months on from posterior hip replacement in the UK. At the time of my surgery there was a big issue in the media about NHS trusts declining surgery to overweight patients, and I was extremely worried I would be turned down after a cancellation in July as they thought I had a heart problem. I can't quite remember my BMI, but know it was very close to the maximum figure touted in the press. I had been dieting very successfully and had lost 2.5 stone for my daughters' wedding anyway over the previous year. Not once did my surgeon even bring it up, I was never weighed and I know my case was discussed at a funding panel! I firmly believe he was of the opinion that unless they help you and do the surgery, you are in a no win situation and cannot lose weight as you are so compromised with mobility. Surely the fact that you are fit for anaesthetic, and would be fit to start rehab afterwards is more important than what the scales say? I really don't think it would be that much of a problem for you. People have accidents all the time and have to have surgery irrespective of their weight, so it's a bit of a mad rule really! I guess even if you could lose a tiny percentage it would strengthen your case. Maybe your GP could help? I wonder if private surgeons have the same rule? Maybe a different surgeon would be a little more relaxed?  I do hope you get sorted out soon as that pain is just miserable. wink

• Posted

I think you will find that surgeons are more likely to operate privately on overweight patients as they are being thrown out by the NHS. I think if a surgeon has experience on operating on obese patients that will help a lot, as it is more difficult surgery with the possibility of more problems. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.