Body pain while recovering from TKR

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. 47 years old, TKR was October 17, still dealing with flexion issues (been stuck at 75-ish degrees since week 3....) and see surgeon about possible MUA on the 15th...argh. I don’t know what else we can do - it’s just not moving. He says it’s because of prior injuries, surgeries, scar tissue, extra bone, etc.

I’m getting around better and can straighten now no problem. So I’ve been cleaning the barn with my husband, cleaning around the house, doing the grocery shopping....more active than I was. Still going to physio and doing exercises at home (not sure why they don’t help my bend 🙁wink 

Anyway....been dealing with body aches and pains for the last three weeks I’d say.....arms, back, shoulders, legs not as much (besides usual pain or swelling in knee if I overdo it). My mom said she had some body aches when recovering....anyone else? Don’t know if it’s because I’ve been more active or....? It’s not like I’m working out or really doing anything super strenuous....

Thanks, 

Amy

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh yes! I remember last year having the same pains, apart from the knee which I expected.

This year I have pain in my shoulder & neck, pain in my lower back, pain in my hip & a touch of sciatica! Hopefully these will diminish & go, I think some of it is due to the very bad state of this knee once the 1st TKR was done & it was taking the strain!!

Maybe it's also due to bad posture & unsteady gait due to arthritis. I know I was stooped & limping before this op! 

Then of course as you say you are doing more ... so who knows??

If you need MUA you need it! There were a few people last year who had it done & found it not so terrible as they thought it would be! They also benefitted from increased ROM. 

Keep in touch & let us know how you're going.

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Thanks Marilyn! It’s kike if I slow down or lay down the body pain takes over....especially at night! Glad to hear I’m not alone (tho not glad you were hurting to)! Lol.

I’ll keep you posted about MUA! 

• Posted

Yeah it does seem that as soon as I go to bed the pains start, I move to ease something, then have to move again to ease something else! It takes ages to actually get comfortable!

I don't think we are alone in this!!! 

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Remember that a lot of muscles, especially quads, glutes and core, have pretty much atrophied over the months so yes, there will be aches and pains as you rebuild all that strength.  Common.
    • Posted

It also feels like bone pain..... it’s weird. I guess whole body might be taking a beating from uneven gait....? Plus active when I wasn’t for a good 6 weeks....etc..? It’s freaking me out a little wondering what the heck is wrong with me.....
    • Posted

There is no "freaking out" allowed in TKR Land...just as "I should better than this by now." has been stricken from the lexicon.  There is only work, time and patience.  That's it.  Very simple.  Leave everything else behind.  I've had 29 ops requiring general anesthesia in the last 18 years...including four knee scopes, gallbladder and 1/3 of my stomach removed, a new hip, spinal laminectomy plus two more spine fusions and more.  Oh...I'm not counting the four kidney stones.  

You want pain?  I have an intimate relationship with that mutha...and I'll tell you that a TKR...BY FAR...is the absolute worst.  The 30 days of unbearable pain plus all the work to get better and the amount of time it takes (a full year) for a complete recovery is an absolute challenge to the heartiest of us all.  

You don't have to apologize to ANYONE for what you're feeling.  Someone ticks you off about the op?  Beat them to the ground with your cane.  No jury will ever convict.  

Watch out about the uneven gait.  As with me and lots of others, it throws your hips out of alignment and causes sciatica.  If you are doing that, see a chiropractor and get it fixed.  No drugs...just get realigned.

• Posted

I'm same age as you Amy, I saw my consultant today about MUA but I've avoided it. This past week I saw a vast improvement in my range of movement, I've been stuck at 90 degrees for weeks but this past week I've been getting to 110 comfortably meaning I can ride my bike with only slight pain. Unfortunately when I went to see him it had become swollen because we were sat waiting for an hour to see him, so my ROM was rubbish today. Anyway 75 degrees is nowhere near enough so manipulation might benefit you. Good luck with it x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.