Body shuts down but all medical test come back good?

Posted , 4 users are following.

this is long but i tried to sorten it as much as i can. please read!!!!My mom was founf in 2017 unconscious. She had woke up with her husband they drank coffee and he left around 7am. Her husband came home around 6pm and he thought she was just taking a nap. He then got a phone call from my mom's boss saying she didn't go into work. He went to wake her up and that's when he realized she wasn't just sleeping. They get her to the hospital and have to intubate her because she wasn't breathing on her own. They did CT scans, blood work, etc. There was no signs of stroke or bleeding in her brain. The next day they did an MRI, EEG and did a spinal tap because her white blood count cells were a little high. all the test came back fine. fthey put her on antibotics because she either aspirated when she went or conscious because it showed some pneumonia. Anyway days goes by and she starts waking up slowly. very drowsy and out of it. She starts breathing on her own and she starts coming to more. by the try day she is walking and pretty much back to normal. A little weak and tired. Dr.s don't know the actual cause of any of it but say it could have been a seizure. they send her she has a follow up with a neurologist they put her on anti seizure medicine. so now a year and a half later the same thing happens. this time she is found sooner so she didn't fall completely unconscious. she's very out of it.l, her eyes are very droopy and glazed and has a hard time talking. we couldn't understand her. they do all the same test and process as last time. next day she starts getting better some still weak, a little drowsy and speech is still slurred. as the day goes on everything is coming back. next day she can talk fine, eyes are fine, still weak but can walk now. they have ruled out seizures, MS, etc. anyone have any opinions, similar situation or ideas????

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

She would need a caretaker to be with her when she is alone as this could recur.
  • Posted

Does She take gabapentin?!  These things were happening to Me and come to find out I was suffering from the side effects of this medication. Lowered dosage with Doctors help and I’ve much improved?!  I was in icu over 20x. Look into medications She is taking!  I do not know why this isn’t one of the first things considered. I kept getting upper respiratory infections, dementia type symptoms, severe pelvic and abdominal pain, electrolyte imbalance plus I stopped breathing more than once. Seizures too!  I hope this may help You. Not one Doctor I know...well one did, He saves My life. My right eye dropped like I had a stroke. It was first thing I thought of reading your question!  Rener
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. I believe she wasn't on any medications when the first episode happened.

• Posted

If taking meds on a regular basis was the cause the problem would occur more often than a year and a half apart. Perhaps what she is eating should be looked into.

• Posted

It was just My side effects from taking a high dosage of gabapentin were just like She is describing. I would look into what She is doing when episodes occur. What is She eating. Throw Your electrolytes off and it gets bad!! Low sodium, high potassium will cause some of those symptoms. Yet I believe They wouldve caught that through blood test. Best of luck!  Let Me know what You find out!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.