BODY SNATCHED!!! - I want "me" back

Posted , 8 users are following.

Yay, I have found people who are going through the same as me, it seems no one else understands

So, about 4 months ago I started getting hectic hot flushes, about 7-10 a day.....within a week my whole world fell apart and it is getting worse.  I am glad I am not the only one who thinks they are dying from some terminal disease. Turning 50 in a few weeks and I was expecting "the change" but  NO ONE PREPARED ME FOR THIS.  I have always been extremely active, I am a fitness instructor and I run, now I feel that I could not even be bothered getting out of bed most days. I NEVER take medication and now I am on anti-despressants, tranquilizers and sleeping tablets. It's like I woke up one day and I had been body snatched! Here's what I have to deal with on a daily basis:

Hot flushes

heart pulpitations

weakness and shaking

aching muscles and joints, especially between my shoulder blades and my legs

painful breasts

constant anxiety causing chest pain and tightness

I fluctuate between holding back the tears or ripping someone's head off

headaches

extremely dry skin

i try to stay positive and deal with it, but there are days, like today when I go so incredibly overwhelmed and I just so desperately want to be normal again. It's affecting my relationships and interferring with my training which makes me more despressed and anxious as I am training for my first ultra marathon next year.

everyone says "hang in there - it will get better"....well....when???? 

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

True they don't warn us about this. Perhaps they should have antemenopause classes to prepare us like they have antenatal classes to prepared us for giving birth!

However, my doctor did point out that we are the first generation to go through this. My mum and all her aunties and friends were all automatically put on HRT. Not sure what my grandmothers did - perhaps they just knuckled down and go on with it, after all they had been through a war. Ours is the first generation to speak out about what is happening to us and to refuse HRT because we know know about all the risks. Is there any reason, Nancey, why you do not try HRT? I am using oestrogen cream because my main problem was vaginal dryness and painful sex (and I couldn't do without sex) and that has worked wonders, restoring me to a much younger vagina. I can cope with hot flushes. I have friends who suffered with much of your symptoms and are using HRT patches (which I will do next if things get worse), which carry less risks than oral HRT. They are so pleased they did - they have got themselves back again, their dry skin is more youthful, they are no longer anxious or depressed and no longer want to kill their husband and kids or leave them.

As you are already on antidepressants, tranquilsers and sleeping tablets - which have side effects and risks - why don't you just swap all those for HRT?

• Posted

as I am a smoker, my doc has decided it would be too risky for me.  Desparately want to quit as it just makes me feel worse but that's a whole other issue.  It's like i'm between a rock and a hard place.

• Posted

thats very interesting what you are saying about us being fhe first generation to go through this without HRT. I think in our grandmother's times, they probably just did not talk about things like this

• Posted

Precisely. Kept quiet and just got in with it. Like I said, they lived through a war. Dunkirk spirit and all that.
  • Posted

Oh I know how you feel! I just can't be bothered with life either! Bed is a good place to hide. I am crabbit, anxious, worried, lazy, unfit and sad that at 55 I'm like this. I have no one to get up for or look after, well my hubby but I can't be bothered with him either!! 

I was in HRT for a couple of years but it didn't make me feel great so I stopped it earlier this year but I still feel odd. 

It will get better, ahhh if one more person says that....... grrrr 

I feel for you I really do all I can say is force yourself to get up n out and run just run it's an escape and that feeling when you stop is like no other, also lots of wine and good friends help a bit sending hugs xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.