Boil at top of my back, is it HS related?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been suffering with HS for 6 months, with regular flare-ups in my left armpit, 1 in my right armpit and 1 down below. 2 Days ago a boil started to form at the top of my back, almost on the inside of my shoulderblade area, near the spine. Could this be HS related? It certainly feels the same, the pain is immense and consistent, and it now measures about the width of a baseball. It's in a really difficult place to try to treat - I've even had the hairdryer on it today to get heat to the area to try to bring it to a head, and can just about reach with my fingers to dab some germoline on it, but don't know what I'm going to do when it does come to a head because I can't reach it to pop it. I'm really body conscious, and don't want to go to the doctors unless I absolutely have to. 

Has anyone else suffered with one here, and if so, any advice on self-treatment?


1 like, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi Rachel, I'm sure you probably won't like my advice but you should really go to the doctors. If its that big and hurting that bad you should go. Then you can be over and done with that issue. I'm sorry you're in pain sad

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi I have to agree with the other reply.  You must go to a doctor at once.  This is far beyond your remit to treat and you need medical treatment.  Do you really want to get sepsis (blood poisoning) coz you are well on the way to getting it.   Sepsis can be very serious and even life threatening.  .   

    If you can't get to your doctors because of the weekend ring up your local out of hours surgery.  If you ring your doctors no.  this no. should be on there.  Any problems just take yourself to A and E and get some proper treatment.  

    They might lance it under a local anaesthetic or even under a general one.  But please take it seriously.  They see far worse than your abcess trust me.  x



    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Thanks to you and Nfonseca for your reply. To  be honest it's not the abcess I'm worried about them seeing, it's the rest of me :-/ 

      I'm going to sleep on it and see how it is in the morning, I think I'll have to go. I know what you're saying is right, this HS is just another thing to bash away at my self esteem though. I'm utterly fed up with being in pain and feeling like a leper. Back to my original point, do you think it is related to HS? I haven't seen anyone else mention an HS boil on their back. x


      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hi another reason to see a doctor.  Ask for a referral to a dermatologist who can confirm or give you a different diagnosis.  The sooner this is caught and treated the sooner it can be more under control.  Treatment options are more limited the worse it is.  Aggressive treatment is needed if it is HS. 

      The other thing is HS causes damage to the lower levels of your skin eventually which can enable the disease to spread more quickly and you could end up with multiple ones.  

      HS can be in any area but the most common is under the armpits followed by in and around the inner upper thighs and groin area.  Antibiotics can often deal with the infection and does help mine a  lot.

      I understand how you feel but burying your head in the sand will only make things worse.  Take control and this will help your selt esteem issues too   x. 

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi, I have to add my agreement to what others have advised you. and believe me, Doctors and staff in A & E have seen just about everything, they won't be shocked, disgusted or anything else you may be afraid of.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up