Boil keeps draining and coming back.

Posted , 9 users are following.

hey guys,

i have a boil that wont totally go away. itll drain completely then once it closes up it fill up again. eventually itll drain again only to fill up again! very frustrating! does anyone have any tips as to make it go away completely? should i get it lanced when this whole virus thing is over? should i call a walk in clinic about antibiotics? any suggestions would be appreciated!

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately thats what HS is. its very gross and dirty feeling. i have a few of them that do the same thing. Antibiotics never worked for me ( clindamycin, doxcycline. ) i have heard people in this group have steroid injections around the boil and they leave. but come back down the road. Sorry for what you are going through. Hope. it gets better

• Edited

Unfortunately thats what HS is. its very gross and dirty feeling. i have a few of them that do the same thing. Antibiotics never worked for me ( clindamycin, doxcycline. ) i have heard people in this group have steroid injections around the boil and they leave. but come back down the road. Sorry for what you are going through. Hope. it gets better

• Posted

I have the same problem Jade. A hot flannel and sudocrem is all I can suggest. Awful isn't it!

• Edited

Try cleaning area with baking soda and water daily. It drys them out after a while. Also cut back on sugar a lot. Sugar is bad for h.s

I had some that wouldnt go away. I went on accutane a few months ago but couldnt continue on it because of virus. It dried up all of my h.s.

But i was only on a month need to be on it 6 months. The virus screwed up my schedule. I didnt want to be on drug right now as side effects are like virus.

• Edited

i think sugar is the thing. i didn't get this recurring boil for a year maybe because i had cut back on sugar. i had lost weight too. now my sugar craving is back and the recurring boil too. i don't get it anywhere else much.

can you use baking soda when the boil is not fully healed?

• Edited

Sorry meant baking soda and water.First thing dermalogist gives you for h.s. is antibiotics like doxycilian does nothing. Steroid injections work but only for months.

• Posted

That's interesting. Not heard of this before. I mix baking soda with lemon juice for cleaning stuff. I might try it with the lemon juice for ultra cleaning. I will post back on this, because I'm aware it could cause skin irritation. Desperate times call for desperate measures sometimes.

• Posted

Its pretty common...but I would go to clinic to see if you need a med

• Edited

That's me too. I have been suffering for 10 years with HS. I get a boil in the groin in the same spot, it bursts, heals for a day or two and comes back again

I used to get boils all over which were painful and were treated with antibiotics. 5 years back, a doctor in the US told me I don't need antibiotics always for a boil. I was tall, overweight and stressed then. Weight loss, warm compress, draining and antiseptic dressing was her recommendation. It reduced a lot with weight loss and some homeopathic treatment. But I still get it in my groin, every 2 weeks. And that's spot where you can't avoid friction. You walk, exercise and every time it rubs. It's very disappointing.

• Posted

I recommend going to a dermatologist if you can. For now, get some hibiclens from a pharmacy. It will be with the wound care/first aid supplies. Clean the boil and skin around it with the hibiclens 2 times per day. If it dries your skin to much you can just use it once per day. Hibiclens has been a huge life saver for my boils. Hibiclens will get rid of all the bacteria in your boil including staph infection bacteria. Epson salt baths will help with the soreness. My dermatologist prescribed some liquid clindamycin to apply daily if I have a boil that gets infected. Most primary care physicians will prescribe oral antibiotics. But my dermatologist told me that most of the time oral antibiotics are not gonna heal a boil. That a boil needs to be treated from the outside in. Thats why she gave me the liquid clindamycin to apply topically on the boil and surrounding skin. I agree with you on the sugar in your diet. I also learned that dairy can make boils worse as well. I hope this helps and I hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.