Bone Density Test

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm a 59 y/o post-menopause female. I just had my first bone density test shows Femur Neck Left is 0.595g/cm^2 with a T-score of -3.2. The Z-score ended up being -1.8. Looks like I have osteoporosis, although I've been on calcium and vitamin D for a while. I've never broken a bone before. Also am a non-smoker but occasional drinker.  I suspect that i'll be put on new meds. The -3.2 T score seems severe what can I interpret from it and the Z-score of -1.8? Any help would be appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The tscore is the only one to be concerned with. It tells how bad your bone density is. -3.2 is in the osteoporosis range but mine is more than that. At its worst it is -4.3 in the lower back and averages to -3.4. 

I have refused the drugs because they are in my opinion unsafe.

You need to do lots of research and be well informed before you start the drugs so that the choice is yours and not just thrust upon you.

There is a lot you can do while you are considering whether or not to take the drugs.

Vitamin K2 is probably the most beneficial as it aims the calcium onto your bones.

Vitamin D3 is essential and this can be checked in your blood tests.

Your diet can be made to be as helpful as possible for your bones. Things like bone broth, leafy greens, yoghurt, cucumber skins, avocados and prunes.

Exercise is also important especially weight bearing so walking is good.

Hope this helps and others have good knowledge too and will be very helpful.

• Posted

I agree with Kathleen. Just so you know I don't have same results as you so decision was easier to make, but purely through natural means, no drugs, only diet, supplements and exercise, I improved my t-score in one year from -2 to -1.6.

• Posted

Hi. The z score is important as it shows where you are in relation to your age, ethnic background etc and yours is not too bad so far. My t-score was worse than yours and 2 and a half years later is much improved. I had suffered 3 fractures before being diagnosed. 2 of them were spinal fractures. Don't dispair. I walk 12,000- 15,000 steps per day, sometimes more and do everything else I did before except my bike. None of my breaks were due to falls. I too have never smoked and only have the occasional glass of wine. I would happily give this up if it was proven to cause any problems for us  OP ladies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.