Bone Density vs Bone Quality

Posted , 8 users are following.

I found a paper recently that contained some insights that might be worth thinking about." Studies of Osteoporosis (OP) and drug treatments have challenged the concept that denser bone means stronger bone. Bone strength, or resistance to fracture, is not easily measured by routine DXA as it is a function of both density and quality".

(Cleveland Clinic, Angelo Licata 2009).

3 likes, 74 replies

74 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Vitamin D plays an important role in protecting our bones and our body requires it to absorb calcium.

A recent article in a well known UK daily paper has stated "A balanced diet rich in a wide range of vegetables and fruit will, according to the experts, provide all the vitamins and minerals the body needs to function. Popping supplements used to be thought a waste of time, however a well known scientist has now advocated that as we spend far more time indoors than our parents did,  plus we have been led to believe that the sun exposure causes skin cancer, many people fail to realise that sunlight is our primary source of Vitamin D3".

Whilst the alternative source of Vitamin D3 will always be via our diet: oily fish, fortified margarines, breakfast cereals, red meat, egg yolk, cheese and powdered milk for example, the usual advice is to obtain 10 to 15 minutes sun exposure to arms, hands or back. Longer exposures does not  provide additional benefit. SPF8 sunscreen reduces Vitamin D production in the skin by 95%, while SPF15 reduces it by 99%. 

We can only make Vitamin D3 when the UV index is greater than 3, which in the UK is only achieved on some days in spring and summer.

In the UK the recommended daily amount used to be 200iu per day however it has now been suggested that we should take 2,000iu of Vitamin D3 a day. Our northern climate here in the UK means that millions of us are now deficient, as dietary sources are not enough to keep levels in a healthy range.

If I cannot get out in the sun for around ten to 15 minutes a day I take a supplement of liquid Vitamin D providing me with 2,500iu per day. This is in addition to calcium with magnesium supplement.  

I understand  that it is impossible to overdose on Vitamin D3 (although the safe limits are believed to be 4,000iu per day), vitamin D3 is complex and excess amounts can be stored in fat and other tissues, it is difficult to determine how long a daily dose of vitamin D3 would stay in the body, but I've been told that large doses can stay in the body for two months - please correct me if I'm wrong!

P.S. I've just read an article that states walking does not increase bone density (Google "does walking increase bone density")  whilst Pilates (in particular Clinical Pilates) definitely help to increase bone density for those of us with osteopenia or osteoporosis.  I walk a lot, go to the gym, attend Pilates classes once a week, take additional calcium with magnesium and vitamin D3 AND have six monthly injections of Prolia - due a DXA scan (previous t score -5.2) end of this month - results eagerily awaited!!

• Posted

Now I'm confused Mary:-)  I did just google 'does walking increase bone density' and got the impression that it does from all the first articles it brought up, so anyone else got any opinions on this?  That is exactly what I'd read about Vit D3 - that 4,000 iu is about the top whack to take but anything between 1,000 and 4,000 is good.  I hope your results are good, do keep us updated:-)
    • Posted

Hi Mary D, it seems you are responding to Chris' wisdom with some of your own - but are sending it on to me !!  Chris obviously knows but answers anyway. !!!!    Anyway, sorry for  ' nit-picking ' and what you've both said is very interesting. I have OP and my rheumatlolgist advised a   "brisk half hour walk daily". So that's what I do. Walking (and I've tried dancing) is great for balance and may have some minimal effect on bone density. It's all about not falling, and your balance deteriorates with age.  . . . so she says "no falls, no fractures" - you can get fragility fractures but there not as common as falls and, indeed, there's very little you can do about them anyway. Are you on meds. for OP? If so, how are you getting along?  Take care J
    • Posted

oops sorry about that!  Just pressed reply without realising to whom it was going. Its good someone is alert!!

Re meds started with bisphosphonates - horrible side effects -

went onto strontium ranelate  - no side effects -  hip score no longer osteoporotic, but taken off them by doc.

Now have six monthly injections of Prolia - no side effects whatsoever.

Attend gym twice a week, Pilates and Zumba Gold once a week, walk every day (with a Fitbit - 10k steps minimum). The trainers at my gym are fantastic at upping my training programme every few months, making sure I do strength training as well as weight bearing exercises; they also make sure I don’t get in a rut!

Having said all that,  I very nearly went flying this morning, having slipped on some double cream someone had left on the floor in the supermarket! I grabbed the nearest gentleman - I don’t think he minded! and very nearly did the splits - now that would have been interesting!!!   Perhaps all that work re balance,  flexibility and  strength training really does have its uses.

• Posted

Hi Mary, Lord you must be worn out !  I manage a half hour 'brisk' walk 5 days a week and dancing once a week. I HATE the idea of a gym, sweating on machines etc. I also have another problem - were I to do what you describe I'd be down to 4 stone !!   I'm 8st. 10lbs. and trying hard to stay at that. 

Interesting to hear your experience of Prolia. I have a friend who's taken it for three years and has also had no problems with it. There has been some long discussions on Prolia, Aledronic Acid and their side-effects on this forum recently and had many contributers.  . . 

Thinking of your experience in the supermarket this morning, after all your intensive exercising to improve your bones, it can be the small things that can get you in the end.  . . . . .  Keep in touch, J

• Posted

Well I was resisting saying it Juno, but have to admit I thought 'WOW - that amount of exercise is truly impressive but she must be shattered' LOL!
    • Posted

Now then, what makes you think I sweat in the gym - only horses sweat -ladies glow! !!!

I know it's sad but I do actually enjoy the gym - wake up sometimes -feel I can't be bothered to go - then think of the membership fees so go! Come out feeling invigorated!

To be honest I was bought up on a farm where my family NEVER sat down during the day so I've been programmed to be active - and that's my excuse!!!

• Posted

Are you sure we're not just jealous?  I feel just too old for all that..  Mary seems really well read about OP. I've just scrolled up to see if she mentioned her age but couldn't see it. Maybe she's only 45 !!!  A mere child then . . . .  J 
    • Posted

Well. good for you !  You should bottle some of that energy and sell it !!  No, seriously, you're great to be positive and indeed there are days that I am also - esp. if the weather is good.  . . .  Kinnd regards, J
    • Posted

LOL!  Now she's going to tell us she's 90 and it's all this exercise that has kept her so young LOL!  No, seriously, Mary, I DO know what you mean.  I've been on my exercise bike 6 times today (only a couple of km each time) because the minute I find myself sitting around bored I get the urge to go and do something, so it's back to the bike.  It's wonderful rebelling against old age!:-)))
    • Posted

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm ..............................................................................................................

• Posted

Well I must say you are an inspiration!  You did mean 73 and didn't do a typo and mean 37, did you???:-))))

No, truly, you give us all something to aim for.  I'd sort of settled back ready to decline into a sort of coundown after the cancer but then suddenly got my act together and realised I didn't have to settle for that and there was time to get so much fitter!  And I'm ENJOYING it!  

• Posted

I'm seriously impressed. I'm 63,  We think Chris is 104 . . .  but sprightly !
    • Posted

Thanks Juno LOL!  I'm 65, going on 95:-))))  But will soon be going on 35:-)))))
    • Posted

That reminds me of the old one 'I'm in good shape - round is a shape':-)))))

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.