Bone scan on arm cysts?????

Posted , 2 users are following.

The Doctor at ER is sending me for a bone scan because he thinks I may have cysts in my arm bone near the elbow. What worries me is that I've never heard of having a bone scan done for cysts before. Im in my 60's. They did an Xray which showed nothing but upon examination by Doctor he felt abnormality and is sending me for a 2 part bone scan. I wondered if anyone has heard of bone scans on cysts before?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi they will also show up on MRI I have them all down my spine and I'm told not to worry about them and that its age related

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your response.  I was actually wondering why the doctor didn't order an MRI instead of a bone scan but I didn't think to ask him at the time.That's the part that  has me a bit concerned. I feel better by what you've said but I still don't get why a bone scan. I thought bone scans were only for detecting cancer.

• Posted

There are different types of scans so telling you he is sending you for a bone scan could turn out to be a dexa scan, did he say which one, I have been for more tests and non are decisive, isnt great but better than them saying its nothing to brush you off
    • Posted

No he only said it would be in the nuclear imaging dept. and thatbit was a 2 part test that altogether would take about 4 hours since there's waiting a few hours in between. Were your cysts painful? My elbow is in a fair amount of pain constantly.

• Posted

I have pain on and off but never put it down to cysts, now I know that I have them I do tend to think, is it them, then I think its not going to be a worry because I'm not sure what there like.

I'm sure that its all being done in your best interest to rule out things not to worry you, but it does, I have massive problems with my hips and no matter what I have doesn't answer my problems, I hope it sorts yours for you, please don't worry though it is going to be checked and I'm sure it will be fine

• Posted

Yes i've had my share of ailments and a battery of diagnostic tests especially in this current year.

So yes the doctors have been quite thorough in checking things out. 

Thanks so much for your words of support. It truly helps take the edge off. 

• Posted

That's OK, nothing worse than feeling worried about a health issue and waiting for test results that seem to take for ever, I personally wouldn't worry as it would not have been diagnosed as a cyst if they thought it was anything more serious. You will find the main reason is that it can lead to arthritis so its best to get it checked.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.