Bone Spurs

Posted , 3 users are following.

I sixty and starting to have issues with bone spurs and bones being larger thanthey should and its causing a lot of problems like Spur Heel, Supraspinitus (Bad Shoulder), Sciatica?

Can anyone advise on what causes these problems and what can be done to limit additional bone growth?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have read recently that it is a result from the lack of calcium and magnesium.  The concept is that when we are not taking in enough calcium and magnesium... that our bodies start to hoard calcium and magnesium.. this depositing these minerals in our body resulting in spurs... 
    • Posted

Not so surte, it could be the reverse. Why would a lack of calcium lead to an increase of calcium deposits on bone?
  • Posted

It may be that you have a condition called DISH which is Diffuse Idiopatheic Skeletal Hypertosis. It means you have additional bone or calcification growing making your bones bigger and causing pain. I have a huge heel spur on my left heel. I find that using ultrasound helps a lot. Some people use laser treatment or accupuncture. You could try any of them. Taking more calcium or magnesium would be a mistake because you are encouraging more bone growth when you should be trying to reduce it. good luck to you!
    • Posted

Do you have anything else on the same foot that might be related?  e.g. Does the foot feel tight across the arch or down the calf and back of the thigh?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.