Bone spurs in neck

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi been in pain since nov with cervical bone spur which is causing me chronic pain in neck and shoulder. I work in a nursery and I’m room leader in a baby room of 9 babies my job requires a lot of lifting and carrying and I go home in agony I have been advised to look for another job as the lifting is just making my pain a lot worse. I’m leaving my job on the 16th August and have just come back after being signed off for ten days my GP has put me on restricted duties but my boss is not taking much notice I have asked to leave before the end of my notice because I feel I’m not going to be able to get through another six weeks. Any one with any advice would be appreciated.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan!

I can feel your pain.

I have/had Cervical OA, bone spurs, stenosis and herniated discs in my neck.

The pain is horrible because it affects your neck, shoulders and generally the whole middle of your upper back.

I've had 2 surgeries and have plates and screws and screws in my neck. The pain is still there although not as bad.

See an Orthopedic doctor. There are options: pain meds, injections physical therapy etc.

I do take a pain med plus I use a product called Tiger Balm (red formula) that helps ease it better than most topicals I've tried. It has a horrible smell, but it works!

Don't torture yourself!

I know the pain is usually 24/7 but see an Ortho doc or even a pain management doctor to lead you in the right direction.

Good luck!

• Posted

I’ve been told that they will only consider surgery as a last resort option just started having acupuncture but too early too see I’m on so many different tablets god only knows what they are doing to me I’m glad your getting some relief.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear of your pain and job difficulties.  Cant help re job advice but I can let you know my best friend had neck bone spurs and had very successful surgery for them.  He was only in hospital for two days.  The surgeon went in from the front of the neck and even made sure the cut followed a natural crease in the neck skin so the scar wouldnt be noticeable.  This was a few years ago and he's had no neck or shoulder issues at all since.  He and I both have other areas of OA but the neck problem was resolved totally by the surgery.

• Posted

I've been involved w/day care centers & I have found that it isn't enough to offer low pay,they are quit willing to violate emplyees federally mandated rights. I have never figured out if they think emplyees are too stupid to know they have rights or administrators aren't aware of their employee's rights because the employees are held in such low esteem. DON'T LEAVE EARLY. That is probably what they want so you can be replaced.

I don't know if u r in the US or not. In the US u can be protected by an FMLA. Depending on a few things, (must be emplyed 1 yr of continous employment, size of company ect) A family medical leave gives you 12 weeks of unpaid leave to address your medical issues while protecting your job. Google FMLA to learn the specifics & how to request a FMLA.

You also have rights under ADA-American Disability Act. Again google ADA for specifics.

If your emplyer is not honoring your restrictions, they are placing children in harms way. Each state has daycare center offices that do inspections & make sure rules are being followed. Agsin find it on Google.

It really is a matter of whether you choose to fight for yourself or not. We have enough problems dealing with our issues without having our rights violated. I believe the government is starting to realize this. Many people currently on disability (SSD) could still be gainfully employed if their employers had not violated their rights.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. THOSE WITH THE KNOWLEDGE HAVE THE POWER

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.