Bones

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello ladies, does anyone know of any proven remedies / help to strengthen bones other than HRT during surgical / menopause. Thanks all x

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

May I ask what is surgical/menopause? There are several prescribed medications, like Boniva, for one, but you would need to discuss it with your physician.
    • Posted

Hi, surgical menopause is when you've had a hysterectomy with ovaries removed - you are then thrown into fierce surgical menopause rapidly and usually all the meno symptoms hit you at once rather than a gradual decline into them - so it hits pretty damm hard. Thanks 😉
    • Posted

Diet seems to be your best bet at strengthening your bones, with spinach and other calcium rich fruits and vegetables. Yet, the best way to absorb into your body is to make sure you have some sort of probiotic so that the nutrients will get into your system. You may also try taking a multivitamin to get all the minerals you need. You must be going through a very trying time but with time things will get better. How long ago did you have your hysterectomy?
    • Posted

Great and thanks - had a hysterectomy over 20 years ago but left one ovary. I had an oophorectomy 2 and half years ago and that's when it hit me, from day one the symptoms were horrific and still are - can't have HRT as I have awful migraines aswell, so it's each day as it comes and every day brings new problems. 😰
    • Posted

Dear lou

I went into surgical menopause nearly a year ago after having an oomperectomy, at first symptoms were very few but since march time i have suffered anxiety and panic attacks, i too cant take hrt, i was wondering too what to take and what not to, i was recently suffering bad muscle pain and cramps and decided to take liquid magnesium and thankfully that has taken the discomfort away, i was hoping it might help with the anxiety but i still get the bad panic attacks x

• Posted

Hello there poor you I sympathise I really do, I will be three years into this in October , I have bad anxiety / health anxiety and panic attacks aswell so I know how you feel, it's horrible. I keep hearing about the benefits of liquid magnesium and the benefits I really must get some. May I ask why you can't take HRT ? and what other symptoms you have. Do you ever feel really wobbly, dizzy or spaced out - off balance like you will collapse any moment , I do and I have to escape from where ever I am, if im in a shop for example I have to get out otherwise I will collapse if I can't get air, it's horrible x
    • Posted

Dear lou

I dont take hrt because my sister died from breast cancer at 31 and i had an aunt who died young from ovarian cancer, yes i get the off balance feeling in shops and i feel i have to escape out especially if im waiting at the till, it's like if i know i cant escape, i panic. It has gotten bad lately but after my surgery i was ok, well not panicking as much, i have always had an anxiety disorder because i have agoraphobia, not to the extent i dont go out but hate open spaces menopause seems to have exaggerated it, i wonder if our symptoms are worse having the surgery x

• Posted

My osteopath nurse told me the best food to eat to help strengthen my bones was the breakfast cereal Ready Brek!  Usually a childrens cereal but it has the highest level of calcium, and iron which I need. Its oat based.
    • Posted

Oh wow that's interesting isn't it - I'll get some with full fat milk, I have been using skimmed milk but stuff it it's full fat for me from now on !
  • Posted

I have it with Soya milk thinking that I'm having natural plant oestrogens but some on here say it's not good as most soya is GM modified but I like it and believe it's doing me good which is half the battle! And I add a little manuka honeyfor sweetness and seeds to make it more interesting and sometimes blueberries. A little of what you fancy does you good. Enjoy.
    • Posted

Thank you yes that makes sense. Some things work for some and not for others but any things worth a try and if it helps then that's good news.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.