Bones in foot won't fuse

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can anyone tell me if surgeon would know if bones in foot had fused before removing hardware or that they weren't fused while removing hardware.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

they were about to remove mine and did an ex-ray first and saw that a screw had pushed the bones so far apart that they could never fuse. they then repeated the op

• Posted

i had a mid foot fusion 2 and a half years ago - I still have the screws in my foot and there are no plans to remove them but the Doctors confirmed that the bones in my mid foot had fused from x-rays and scans conducted at the time my plaster came off so I would expect your doctors to know within 2-3 months of the operation if it was successful in fusing the bones themselves. If your surgeon is not sure whether the bones themselves have fused, I would want a second opinion, but it could be that they just haven't told you and merely stated "happy with progress" or "not happy with progress". What is more problematic is knowing whether or not the fusion will actually reduce your pain levels both weight bearing and when you twist and flex your foot - having the screws in will strengthen an arthritic joint and help you weight bear but is only time and trying to weight-bear and walk on the foot you will really know if the operation was a success, partial success or not helpful at all.

As you will no doubt already know if you are looking at having your metal pins removed, in the months following the pain levels vary considerably and shooting pains and tingling around the joint fused where the surgeon's incisions were made are normal - they are where the small nerves and muscles are rejoining and sending signals across the affected area to stimulate blood flow and repairing themselves - after a few weeks/months these sensations will go away then any residue of aches and pains are probably due to the condition of the foot and if it has deteriorated any further post-operation.

• Posted

this is my second surgery on this foot. my heal was very painful to walk on because of the screws, dr went back in and took out all hardware. (he did take x-rays and said foot looked good) I told him that my foot was still painful so then did mri. results came back and he said my bones didn't fuse . i want to know if he would have known that my bones didn't fuse before he took the hardware out. he also said that it was my fault they didn't fuse because I smoke.

• Posted

sorry I couldn't comment re smoking - I have heard of people trying to do too much when on crutches and fusing not working because of constantly jarring the foot and moving/braking the screws. So far I have only had one fusion but my surgeon was in two minds whether to still do the fusion as my arthritis had moved all across my mid foot by the time of the operation. i don't smoke so wouldn't know, but the info I was given at that time did state constant smoking could affect how well the fusion works. My situation was I was involved in a hit and run where I sustained a fracture and dislocation cycling - nobody would listen when I asked for help at A&E! the hospital i was initially referred to and asking for a parking space opened the door to management bullying - they were very happy to be in breach of disability legislation so it took changing hospitals and was 6 years down the line before I found a really good surgeon., but whilst my condition is helped, I often still struggle with varying pain levels, bones crunching etc. My best advice is to try to cut down before your next operation and whilst in rehab, but make sure you are not struggling to look after yourself when not mobile so you limit your risk of falling. best wishes Lorraine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.