Bones, Joints

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 87 years old male in reasonable health so far.I say reasonable as I keep walking despite problems like open angle glaucoma and AMD since Oct, 2015. My eye sight also remains alright . I keep using eye drops Azopt and Travatan. BP and sugar OK.

Since 31 Oct, 2019 I was diagnosed Osteoporosis for the first time as a result of Dexa Scan Results

a. Neck: T score -2.6 (Total -1.7) Osteoporosis

b. Lumbar L1-L4: T Score -0.9Normal

Two Docs advised me Bonviva 150 mg once a month. Since then in view of my advanced age I have not taken Bonviva so far due to its formidable side effects apprehending more harm than good at my age. Some how I had taken this medication for 6 months about 10 years back though I had no osteoporosis then with no side effects at that time. Now I am hesitant when I am so old .

In view of above, can I have the views of others particularly advanced age group who have been using this/such other medications. My apprehension is that all the organs in the body are weak, hence more vulnerable to such strong medications and secondly how many more years of life are available at this stage; why be vulnerable to serious side effects of this medication?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.