Boney growths on sternum after surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had my aortic valve replaced in May 2012. From the start I have felt a sharp piece of wire just under the skin in a couple of places. Later I could feel several bony spurs on my sternum.They have become bigger with time and although not actually painful unless touched I am aware of them and around them itches. 

Just buttoning my shirt is enough to be aware of them and if my wife's arm goes over my chest in bed it is painful.  

Anyone else have them and how much did they grow or cause a problem. Googling also suggests that they could be calcium deposits.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I know a gentleman who had sternum wires after surgery, and he developed an

allergy to them, but the surgeons who did the procedure said that's not possible,

I say, "why not"f?  I have talked to other people over the years who have also

had issues with the wires months later, lets face it , some people are probably 

more sensitive to the wires than other people are.  I certainly hope I'm not one 

of them, because if I'm told I can't have a transcath closure procedure for my

CHD, then I was told open heart surgery would be my only option.  I do not want

to experience what you're going through, but I also don't want to die prematurely

either.

• Posted

I'm sure you won’t die prematurely. The porter wheeling me down to the operating theatre said that I was the calmest patient he had ever had. It is like getting on a plane you put your trust in the pilot, the crew and the engineers.

The very worst part is when they get you out of bed on the second day. Two physios  walked me down the long corridor and up two flights of stairs and back again. There were three chairs on the way to let you rest. It took me half and hour to get my breath back and cool down.

When I was there a Guy came in to have his wires removed as they were causing a problem. He perhaps had an advantage over me as he was the admissions manager at another hospital. He came in during the morning and was away by mid afternoon. I asked at my first check up after my operation in 2012 about getting them removed. He was Greek and quoted Hippocrates  on not doing anything unnecessary that might harm the patient.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.