Boniva injections anyone?

Posted , 8 users are following.

My PC says my dexa scan isn't that bad and my Rhumy says I'm a high risk for a fracture.  So I have an appointment for the injection on Mon.  Has anyone else had this problem?  When I read possible side effects of the injection I really don't want to get it. But a fracture would be the worst nightmare on top of this PMR.     

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I broke my hip thirteen years ago when I was ice skating. I was told my osteopenia was now considered osteoporosis. The docs didn't want me on Fosamax due to my reflux but I needed serious treatment since I have a scoliosis since chilhood and my spine is in bad shape. I had to give myself daily Forteo injections which helped but were only FDA for two years. Can't remember what I did until I had an endocrinologist give me an infusion of Reclast seven years ago. Three days later GCA started to be followed by PMR, etc., etc. Since my mom had lupus docs thought the reclast acted as a catalyst for my autoimmunes. Wish they came to that conclusion before they started this mess. Now I am on Fosamax and my reflux is controlled. I started taking Actemra to help get me off this very high pred (80mg) and stop all these flares with all my side effects including lots of weight which is very hard on my back and breathing. The Actemra is not FDA for GCA only for RA so I hope I'm not opening a new can of worms. Do you use that expression in the UK too? My son who is a doc and colonel in the air force has many connections and thinks this is the medicine to try to get me off or at least lower my pred. Jan
    • Posted

"My son who is a doc and colonel in the air force has many connections and thinks this is the medicine to try to get me off or at least lower my pred."

If anything will it is that - none of the other so-called steroid sparers have any evidence but try telling THAT to some of the rheumies. Do US ones get paid more for every drug they add? Not being sarcastic - just wondering.

• Posted

Eileen - I have no idea how the system works. I do know drug company representatives visit doctors regularly to push their products. As I've mentioned my Actemra is being supplied with no cost to me by Genentech, the company that makes it. I believe a person can earn up to $150,000. per year here in the US to try to qualify for it through their foundation.  Jan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.