Bony lumps on sternum

Posted , 4 users are following.

This is a repost of an old post of mine. I had my aortic valve replaced in May 2012. From the start I have felt a sharp piece of wire just under the skin in one place. Later I could feel several bony spurs on my sternum. Recently they have become bigger and although not actually painful I am aware of them. Even the water in the shower irritates them.

Anyone else have them and how much did they grow or cause a problem. Googling also suggests that they could be calcium deposits.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes I had a similar issue I asked for a second opinion I started walking 5 minutes a day I started drinking a glass of wate every day it helps
    • Posted

How does the water help it ? I do actually drink quite  a lot of water.

When I was getting my aortic valve replaced a man came in to have his wire removed. He perhaps had an advantage over me as he was the appointments manager at another hospital..

• Posted

A friend of mine experienced a similar issue with wires after a CABG, it turned out he was a allergic to the nickel in the sternal wires.  He is bothered by it after all these years.  I'm allergic to nickel myself, so I know I don't ever want sternal wires, that's for sure.

• Posted

And my pacemaker will be nickel as well. I did not think before it was fitted to ask what the material was. They can slip them into a pigskin wallet.
  • Posted

Probably the bits where you were sewn up, the "Wire " bit could be a clip that wants to escape, My sternum feels like the grand canyon,, had an appointment with a cardiac consultant, and was going to ask him to check on it, but Never got the chance, very short consultation .Maybe you should have an x ray ,at least it will put your mind at rest. 

• Posted

I have had CT, MRI scans and an X-Ray on my back for other problems that did not produce any comments on them although other things were noted. I also had several chest X-Rays when I had a pneumothorax after my pacemaker was fitted 
    • Posted

I looked at a Youtube video of the sternum being wired up. I looked really brutal! The valve replacement looked a much kinder procedure. I know that they can be removed but it would seem difficult although wen I was there a patient had his removed in the morning and was soon off home.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.