Bony protuberance on toe

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have the usual swollen fingers on both hands, but now i have found the bone sticking out of the middle toe which doesnt seem such a bother during the day, but, at night the pain is intense. last night for instance, it woke me at 2 and subsided after about 15 minutes. It started again at 3.15 when I got up to take Paracetamol. Back it came at 4.30 when in desperation I lay on top of the bed clothes to try to ease the pain but i was unable to sleep properly as the pain never really went away until i got up. this started 3 nights ago and I do not have any idea what to do. I only know Paracetamol doesnt do any good. Can anyone help as when I say the pain is intense, it really is and there is no way I could sleep through it.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

could be a boney spur. see your doc for diagnosis and care. it's hard to diagnose with just a description and i'm not a doctor. it sounds painful , it needs to be taken care of so it does not get worse. there are all types of nerves in the feet. don't risk further injury , it will put your mind at ease to see doctor.

good luck.

• Edited

Isn't the toe often a place where gout (a kind of arthritis) often shows up? My husband was told to drink a lot of fluids, and apparently cherry juice is good. Keep the painful foot elevated and perhaps try icing it for a few minutes occasionally throughout the day.

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to reply. this is definitely arthritis as i have it in my fingers. the strange this is, it doesnt bother me during the day, its only in bed when it seems lying down and the pressure sets it off. I will try the cherry juice however as its not the first time I have heard of it.

• Posted

I mentioned gout as it is one of the many kinds of arthritis. I hope you get some relief soon.

It is interesting. I consulted Dr Google about why arthritis symptoms are often worse at night and there is quite a lot of information. I've found this too, now that I think about it, and have simply assumed it's the position I'm in when I am lying down. For months now I've been sleeping with an arrangement of pillows so my neck/shoulders/back/hip (choose one or several!) don't bother me. Lends new meaning to the expression "making the bed". I always used to sleep on my side, but for several years have slept on my back, because of pain in my hip. If I get the pillows just right I'm comfortable. This is all apart from the polymyalgia (PMR) I was diagnosed with in 2015, and for which I take a very tiny dose of corticosteroid (prednisone). When I started the medication at the beginning the dose was higher and dealt with all aches and pains! But of course it's not really a safe enough drug to take a dose high enough for osteoarthritis, I just enjoyed the benefits for a few months until I'd tapered down and OA poked up again. I've found physiotherapy the best for my particular arthritis; over the years have accumulated exercises for practically every joint!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.