Boot?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Has anyone had issues with the boot causing more pain and swelling than going without the boot? How about a snug, but not tight ace bandage? This seems to work better for me. Anyone else?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I should think if you’ve been told you need to wear a boot then that’s what you should be doing. Unlike any bandage I can think of, the boot completely immobilises movement of the foot, which is essential if you’ve had major foot surgery or broken bones. 

I’m currently recovering from tarsometatarsal bone fusion surgery but am now, at 10.5 weeks post surgery, thankfully out of the boot.  It caused me a lot of pain in my right knee (both my knees are bad). However, there was no alternative so I had to just get on with it.  Yes, it does make swelling worse, which is why it’s a good idea to take it off when you don’t need it on, if you’re able to, and also very important to do your physiotherapy exercises. 

You don't say what you’re recovering from? 

• Posted

I broke my 5th metatarsal 4 weeks ago.  The urgent care handed me the boot and said "see an orthopedic docto."      All that information...I saw the ortho who showed me an Xray and said....."Well, the boot is okay.  Just use it and stay off the foot as much as possible..Come back in 4 weeks and we'll re- Xray."   There is only pain WITH the boot..makes foot swell and ankle still and sore.  Without the boot, I can walk with a very slight limp.  No swelling or pain except a stiff ankle I am flexing to improve.  No surgery.  I aqm wearing the boot properly when I wear it, but it causes more pain than less. 

• Posted

I know it must be tempting to discard the boot, but I wouldn’t do so without speaking to your orthopaedic doctor first. You could be setting yourself up for all sorts of problems in the future if the bone doesn’t heal properly.  Good luck. 
    • Posted

Thanks. I have arthritis which actually gives me more thought than the foot break...I plan to wear the boot for 2 more weeks then go to a sturdy shoe for support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.