Boot advice - Getting clothes on ETC

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, Its great finding this forum after my injury. Glad to see i am not alone, not that i wish it on anyone.

I ruptured my achilles a month ago playng squash, so gutted and they found both a tear, just below the muscle and another one that was a complete rupture at the heal.(this was found during operation stage) I know its not for everyone as the natural route was offered to me, but I was lucky enough to get a quick operation 2 weeks ago. Today i had an appointent at the clinic and they took my stiches out which was so painful and took the heavy cast off and put me in a boot, foot pointing down with wedges.

I was wondering how one copes with the boot? how do i get trousers on ? I have an office job and wouldnt mind putting some on. The boot is massive! does anyone know of any online info? Can i un zip the felcro straps and slip my trousers on and have the strap part positioned on the outside of the trousers?  I would appreciate any help.

Best wishes

Dom

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Its when they have to reconstruct your Achilles they drill 2 holes one either side of the heel and screws to hold tendon in place ,apart from the incisions going up the back of your ankle you also have 2 wounds further up your calf that the anchors attach to ,sounds complicated not sure how else to explain it ,hope all keeps going well for you x

• Posted

Hi Dom

I am sorry to hear of you incident. I was in a boot for eight weeks and wore shorts for the most part, but when the occasion demanded I would just take the boot off, put trousers on and then try to fold the bottom of trousers neatly so that when I replaced the boot and the re velcroed with trouser leg inside the boot, though not ideal, looked reasonably smart.

• Posted

I also wore shorts for the time that I did wear the boot, but I only wore trousers/jeans over the top of the boot, I did try once with the boot over the top but the fold was so bulky and wjth my foot/anlke swelling in the boot because of the lack of movement in the calf muscle caused a large dent in my leg and was very uncomfortable, the pressure dent lasted for several hours and was quite red and painful, this was just another excuse to ditch the boot as soon as I could bear weight regularly and walk without to much diffiulty

Brian

• Posted

I bought a cheap elastic top skirt from a charity shop and wore that round the house.. so comfy I've subsequently bought a kilt!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.