Boot off

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had ankle surgery plate and screws, had a cast for 6 weeks then boot for 3, been told today to get some good walking boots wear them in the house but still use black boot outside, he never mentioned anything about not using crutches and to back in 4 weeks which I don't think works not happy about, plus pt waiting for an appointment, how much weight do I put on and should I still use the crutches

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had a plate and screws.5 weeks in cast then told 2 crutches 4 2 weeks,1 for 2 weeks then walk unaided.I was probably 2 weeks behind this,but walking now (with a limp)5 months post accident
  • Posted

good walking boots needs clarification! good walkng boots are very expensive and also rather heavy...you really wouldn't want to be clumping around the house in them. I feel comfortable outside in my cheapish (ie £60) lightweight summer fabric boots but even they are too heavy for round the house all day. I'd get very tired if I had to wear my "good" boots all day.

• Posted

He said walking boots with good ankle support and only for in side the house instead of the cam boot, I have ordered some timberlands half price bargain
  • Posted

Sorry that your doctor failed to communicate clearly to you about what to wear as you transition to weight bearing, and how to go about it.

In my case, I was ordered to go to 50% partial weight bearing (after 6 weeks NWB) in boot for 2 weeks, then full weight bearing in boot for 2 more weeks-- then I was in regular shoes and full weight bearing.

Who knows what doctor had in mind by saying to wear 'walking boots' inside the house, and why they didn't mention how much weight to bear now. That's an enigma that you might want to get clarity on.

Regrettably, you only get a few brief moments during a doctor's visit and you need to be thinking of all the questions you need to ask before you get ushered out the door.

• Posted

I know you have all the questions and the doctor is in and out fast, I will just listen to my body hopefully my pt sessions should be pretty soon
  • Posted

I'm 6 weeks post op and been told to walk with two crutches putting as much weight as possible through my foot.

I swam today and walked quite a lot, I'm now in a lot of pain tonight but hoping to go back to the pool tomorrow 

• Posted

We jsut had my daughter's 8 wk appointment today.  She had trimalleolar fracture, plate, screws, etc on 2/25/18.  She was in hard cast with crutches for 6 weeks, then walking boot NWB with crutches for one week, then walking boot with partial weight bearing and crutches for one week.  As of today, she can toss the crutches and be in a walking boot and transition to unaided as tolerated.

• Posted

not sure which country you are in ...just wondering..i interpreted walkng boots as in boots for hiking and wondered why on earth doctor would suggest that. Now thinkng probably your doc meant a boot of the moon boot/air cast variety??? In UK these would be provided by NHS if required but maybe you are somewhere where you have to provide such stuff yourselfl
    • Posted

I'm in UK, I think he mines something with good ankle support I've order some timberlands,

• Posted

I was wearing boots with good ankle support when I broke mine..hillwalking...but perhaps would have been worse in flimsier shoes. I still think you might find them tiring....also initially I couldn't get boots on...even fully unlaced. Could bend foot far enough. But everything changes quickly...though not always as quickly as I would like. Crutches or at least one, useful outside for confidence/extra support. Especially when someone in a car is glaring at you in supermarket car park for moving slowly across their path or when crossng a road The crutch is a useful sign of your vulnerability. Good luck.

• Posted

Tried to get some boots on today so painful like you said bending foot the bone under my big toe was the most painful, will try some trainers,

• Posted

I didn't wear anything for two days after my cast came off then I tried my trainer, I feel so much more secure and comfortable plus can put some weight through with trainer on.

Going to try my boot today 👍🏼

• Posted

physio told me to check stiffness of heel on trainers...the ones I was wearing that day did not give enough support so I treated myself to some new ones (mountain warehouse are reasonably priced)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.