Boot removel

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a partial rupture 50% to my Achilles 12 weeks ago non surgical route, cast for 4 weeks and then walking boot until today, anyone had any problems with walking after the boot is removed? I was really nervous to have it off but I am much better walking than I thought, just curious if anyone has any do's or dont's? When did you start driving again? Thanks for any replies

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I am 9 weeks post injury this week. Full rupture and non Surgury. I removed boot but over 2 weeks ago due to I needed to be able to drive again. I was due to take off the next week after that anyway but just didn't have a choice as needed to drive kids to school.

I have an automatic car and was fine to drive just used my left foot for braking😬 Only needed to do this for about another week or so. Can use right foot to brake now just need to be careful if I have to slam on brake quickly, its can still send a pain up my leg

Other thing I have found is going down stairs.... don't over stretch. Going up is easy as though.

And lastly I have found just try not to be on your foot all day as mine really gets sore, more so underneath on the heel part. Nothing that a good massage won't help if you can con someone into doing it for you lol

Good luck

• Posted

I'm walking at 7 weeks after surgery. Have small limp. That should stop by next week.

• Posted

I had the mini surgery done three months ago and now Im back playing golf and hitting a little bit of tennis balls. I skipped the boot.

• Posted

I am 15 weeks post surgery for ruptured AT.  Was out of boot after progressive weight bearing abou week 7. Had some r sidual swelling, some irritation and pain around surgical site that slowly got better.  Because of swelling I got a few pairs of shoes a bit bigger than I had worn before. ECCOs were great, soft leather, but supportive. Still have some swelling that can be uncomfortable, but rarely painful. 

Drove with my injured foot the day the boot came off.  Can get a little uncomfortable around heel after a while, but not a big deal. If it hurts to where you feel incapacitated (think emergency braking), then best to wait.  Try it in a short trip with minimal traffic, see how it feels. 

Good luck, and best wishes for a speedy recovery. 

• Posted

Hi Im new to this website and not sure how to ask my own question lol,so here goes anyway.

I ruptured the achillees tendon last week and Im really struggling to get in and out of the bath. Im wearing the boot and will be for a few weeks so im told.Is there anyway I could hire a bath hoist of some sort as i live on my own and have no help at all. Im coping the best I can but the bath situation is awful as its so painful,however I try to get in and out. Would appreciate any advice,thank you

• Posted

Sorry about your injury. If you have a shower that might be easier. I got a shower seat from Walgreens. Used crutches to get into our walki-in shower (problem if it is above bathtub) but if you had a shower seat, you could move from edge of tub to seat without weight bearing.

Best wishes for speedy and complete recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.