Boot Situation

Posted , 4 users are following.

A head on car crash on Aug 5th left me with a broken tibula and fibia and my ankle is broke in 3 spots. I had the first surgery on the night of the accident and the second surgery on September 1st. 2 plates 17 screws are in my right leg. The pain is better now but I was told I can't put any weight on my foot until December. I wear my boot during the day but I have been taking it off for the past 2 nights. I'm only taking 1 pain pill before I go to sleep. I was wondering what will those first step be like when I am able to walk again?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

when i was off my boot, my ankle was so stiff and sore which is normal because you've literally not been able to move a muscle or a joint on that leg for awhile.So walking felt really funky in the beginning but as you progressed through the days it will be a lot better.  i did a lot of PT on my own and stretching and i believe it helped me recover a lot faster. In the beginning it will ache more just because your ankle is getting used to full weight and movement on it, especially in the mornings. When i wake up and begin to walk i do remember limping but throughout the day my ankle was already warmed up that i was walking normal. That will get better in time. Also, remember to take it easy and slow on yourself. I don't recommend trying to run right away. Although if you do you will have a slight limp on the first couple of weeks lol i have tried it and i looked weird running. that went away after 3 post surgery. Right now i am 6 op post surgery and I'm playing soccer in college so trust me, it may feel like a slow and frustrating recovery now, but you will be better and stronger. Don't give up and don't be too hard on yourself. you got this! good luck on your recovery! 

• Posted

Thanks Sarah. I am so looking forward to walking again. I am 7 weeks in after my second surgery. I go to the doctor next week and I am praying for good news. Thanks again.
  • Posted

Hi! I hope to be able to report back to you next week as I hope to be able to become weight bearing. I see my Orthopedic surgeon Tues. Like you, I was given the same restrictions NWB for 3 months.  Tues will be 3 months.  It has been the longest 3 months of my life!!!! I will certainly keep up updated as I suspect you have the same fracture as I.  Did your Dr.  mention a "pilon fracture"?  Stay tough and take good care of yourself! Rhonda

• Posted

Thanks for replying Rhonda, No my Dr. didn't mention a pilon fracture yet. I am 7 weeks in after my 2nd surgery and I go back to the doctor next week. I pray for good new every time I go. I will keep you posted. Thanks.

• Posted

I too was hit head on! Drunk driver hit me 4/22/17. I have 1 plate 6 screws. I was in blue nwb boot for 9 weeks, 25% wb black boot for 6 weeks then fwb for another 6 weeks. I’ve been free of the boot for 3 1/2 weeks now. Once I was allowed to put partial weight I just let my foot rest on the floor.  During this time I was allowed to do foot flexing while in the hot bath.  I used a walker which really helped in learning to walk. I still have pain from the hardware and my bone on the inside is taking its time to completely fuse. I am walking though without any vice. I will use my cane outside if need be. I limp a lot though but I believe my hardware is preventing me from being able to flex all the way. Don’t rush anything! Take your time. My surgeon said it’s going to take a year to fully recover. If I’m still having problems after the first of the year we might consider removing the hardware. It’s a long recovery but I’m glad to hear you aren’t in slot of pain!  Good luck with everything and this forum will really help you in getting great advice! 🙏🏼😇

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.