Boot to what type of Shoe?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I will be transitioning out of  my boot on Tuesday.  What do you recommend in terms of a shoe?  Should I wear compression socks?  An ankle brace? 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hey Zelda,

I don't have a clue yet, I'll have to follow your lead.  I have just had my stitches out from the screw removal and am expected to wean out of the air cast in a couple of weeks.  I have been given the go ahead for full weight bearing...wow, I am sooo excited.

How wonderful for you, I am truly pleased to hear this....best!

Deb

• Posted

Hi Zelda and Deb!  I am so excited for both of you! Zelda you're quite ahead of me in recouperating! It seems I'm closer behind Deb42707.  Tuesday I see Ortho for my 12 week f/u visit.  I'm hoping I can start weight bearing too!  I'll keep following both of you so please keep me updated!  Do you think we women will ever wear 👠 again? Happy Friday.  Rhonda

• Posted

Hey Rhonda,

Hell, to be honest ... I'd be happy to wear slippers just to be able to walk on my own two feet and be comfortable again.  

I actually got outside today on my own steam and bbq'd myself some dinner. Oh lord, you'd think I'd won the lottery or something, it was such a big deal.  I really have been captive too long..smile

I will keep you all posted on my progress, but most of all, I wish all of you a quick recovery, as pain free as possible.

I'm sure this is a kinship we weren't looking for, but I am grateful for all of you for your kindness, support and wisdom.

Speedy recovery to everyone,

Deb

• Posted

Morning Deb!  Haha... well there are some pretty cute slippers available nowadays!  I'm so excited that you hobbled to the grill and made yourself some dinner.  What an accomplishment!   I know for myself, once I emerge from this state of immobilization I hope to never take such simple tasks for granted again.  I struggle with laundry. It's tough to transport, bend over, load, remove from dryer, transport and ultimately get put away!  That's today's chore! Enjoy your Saturday and keep pushing forward!  Rhonda

• Posted

Thanks Rhonda,

Just take it easy doing your laundry, that is a lot of twisting, lifting, sorting etc.  The last thing you want to do is lose your balance, you've come too far for anything to set you back.

Good luck and have a great day!

Deb

• Posted

Hey Rhonda,

Each time I look in my closet I ask the question of whether I will be able to wear cute shoes again! This seems a trivial thing after 12 weeks of surgeries and  hellish pain but I do have some cute pumps I’d love to wear again but of course walking comes first and I not there yet. Lol💃👠

• Posted

I had a walker with a seat that I would put my laundry on to carry around. It also came in handy to carry my plates of food from the microwave to the table and I could sit down on it and push myself around when carrying a cup of coffee.
  • Posted

Good question. I'm out of mine on Friday. Im wondering the same thing. 

• Posted

Thanks all.... I'll let you know if I find out Anything! 

• Posted

Hi everyone I was 12 weeks non weight bearing and as soon as my screw was removed I was told I could weight bear . I put training  shoes on but laced up loose It was not easy as it was painful to stand on my bad ankle . Physio and hydrotherapy pool are great to get ankle moving again . I started driving again a couple of weeks after that - short distances . You will have good and bad days but keep going it will get better . I am 6 months now and can walk properly  . Still a bit of pain but nothing compared to before . I limp a little at the end of the day but touch wood I’m ok really . Won’t be doing any marathons but then I never did before . Good luck 😉 

• Posted

My first choice is my grippy slippers! 😁 I just started wearing shoes about 3 weeks ago. My surgeon recommended Brooks athletic shoes and that’s what I got. They have a great arch support, wider in width to help stabilize the foot and have great ankle support. They also don’t hurt any of my incisions.  Do not wear an ankle brace because you want your ankle to work at supporting itself. Also you will not need compression socks. My surgeon said it is to only help prevent blood clots. You will want to continue to ice your foot because swelling  will happen and it’s very normal .  You may not be able to wear a shoe right away so just be patient. Get yourself a good pair of gripper slippers that are comfortable and start out walking in the list maybe that’s exactly what I did until most of my swelling went down in my foot then I was able to handle having a shoe on. I still am only able to wear a shoe for a few hours at a time before I need to take it off because it bothers me. Good luck with everything and congratulations on graduating out of the boot!! 💕🙏🏼

• Posted

Hi Zelda,

Glad to hear you finally are giving the moon boot the boot.

What kind of regular shoe should you wear once you are out of the boot?

It depends.

It depends on how severe your injury was, what soft tissue was injured and is still healing, and most importantly, what your current ankle/foot condition is, actually.

If you are struggling with edema (swelling), your best bet is an othropedic shoe that has enough 'give' in it to accomodate the bloated tissue. That was my choice because my foot still had just a bit of swelling after the boot (swelling diminished rapidly though).

If you had damaged ligaments/tendons (from fracture and/or severe ankle sprain), look to protect those tender soft tissues with sturdy footwear that will give adequate support and protection. Slippers and flip flops would be courting disaster if you are in that situation. A shoe with strong arch supports or orthotic insert may be needed by some people who are dealing with torn soft tissue or pain and inflammation.

Some people are in love with compression socks. I was not one of them.

The important thing to remember is that after your first ankle fracture and sprain your ankle is in a compromised condition (more susceptible to injury) and you must in future be careful.

An ankle brace is also a good idea for those who had severe sprain injuries to protect it while you are still in recovery (and recovery may require many weeks to months for those hardest hit). Once you have normal ankle function back a brace is not necessary (continued wearing when not needed may actually weaken ankle).

Going back to high heels after recovery is just asking for more punishment!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.