Borderline Hypertendion

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 59 years old, with a BM! of 25.5.  I have just been diagnosed with borderline hypertension  blood pressure averaging 156/86.  The doctor prescribed BP tablets but I am reticent to take them.  I had a normal blood pressure reading last year but since then I have put on around 12 pounds and was wondering if it would be safe to delay taking the tablets for a month and making a few lifestyle changes like exercising, cutting out alcohol and aiming to lose the12 pounds and then see if the BP goes down to within normal range or am I setting myself up for a stroke by delaying as the nurse suggested. Any views on this would be welcome.  Thank You.

0 likes, 92 replies

92 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

Yes, I would delay taking the meds if your making lifestyle changes, to be fare, your Bp isn’t that high for someone of 59 years, I would say the systolic reading is a bit on the high side, but not dangerously high. It’s great that you want to take the natural approach, if you have the willpower to make those changes, that’s fabulous, the extra weight does definitely affect the blood pressure, the extra weight I put on and and the alcohol were probably the culprits for me. Good luck 👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.