Borderline Hypo- when to medicate?

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi,

i have been ‘unwell’ ...( always have a cold) for over a year . I went to my family dr in Dec because the fatigue had become overwhelming. Blood work came back with hi TSH (6.9), I was told to come back in 3 months for retesting. My recent labs were still above average - TSH (5). My doctor said he would treat if it was still high but the nurse never called me. It’s been 3 weeks and I have many hypo symptoms ( cold intolerance, dry eyes; dry skin, forgetfulness, have very little energy, heart palpitations, muscle aches, joint pain, restlessness, sleep disturbance, depression etc!). I am 50 yrs so I realize some of these symptoms may be due to age/ perimenopause

I understand thyroid medication is serious and the side effects could be worse than the symptoms. I have tried to treat by diet, excersise ( when I have any energy!), stress reduction etc...but my quality of life has really depleted.

Should I go back to my dr and demand he treat me with medication? or do I accept  my new menopausal  life !? 

im not sure what is normal 

FYI 

i was also diagnosed with oral lichen Planus (erosive) and tested positive for autoimmune hepatitis ( my liver enzymes are normal) last year. So my immune system is not good

any advise would be greatly appreciated 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

In other words....

at what point does borderline hypo warant treatment?

• Posted

Given your symptoms and the high TSH I would try the medication. The side effects are sometimes overstated.
  • Posted

Hi 

I’ve been fighting my hypothyroidism why the last two years and just got some relief as of 2018 I started on level thyroxine all the symptoms and the body aches and pain‘s was  The  results of my thyroid disease I would definitely recommend you to get medicated and watch her symptoms go away slowly I’ve tried everything I thought I’ve had everything from menopause to fibromyalgia and did turn out I had none of that got tested for everything just started on medication in January   And I’m starting to feel so much better I No the weight gain is probably from the medication but I’m working out I hope this helps

• Posted

Hello Trudy,

I'm new to tgis diagnoses and therefore can't really give you too many answers. However one thing that I'd consider of utmost importance that I can tell you is you have to be your own advocate.

Study what you can where you can, from reputable sources, and keep your doctor engaged. Different things work for different people but the one thing that works for no one is inaction.

Just make sure when you communicate with them that you tell them what you're concerned about and why, a fuller explanation may help them along the way.

Sorry you're struggling.

~Jennifer ~

• Posted

Trudy I also tried diet and exercise and unfortunately if you are truly hypo you need to take the missing replacement hormone.  I finally caved and a year or so on I am doing great on Tirosint 88 mcgs.  It takes a while to find your sweet spot but you will feel better, don't worry!!

Rose

• Posted

I am having the same problems with energy and fatigue. Male 35 with a tsh of 5. I was givin 13mcg of Tirosint. How long untill I can feel the benefits? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.